how to get the keyboard input without Win32 API?

Started by
14 comments, last by timaer 18 years ago
I think Win32 Messages are slow for games, also you can only use one key at a time. (correct me if I am wrong).

edit:

Im not sure about WM_INPUT though.

[Edited by - simon10k on March 29, 2006 10:41:14 AM]
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by simon10k
I think Win32 Messages are slow for games, also you can only use one key at a time. (correct me if I am wrong).
This has not been true in years, and it certainly isn't true now.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
dont use windows msgs for input, it sucks. use GetAsyncKeyState
Black Sky A Star Control 2/Elite like game
@timaer: Don't know if you noticed or not, but you aren't putting spaces after your punctuation marks. Just thought you might want to know.
Hello?
Quote:Original post by cherryhouse
@timaer: Don't know if you noticed or not, but you aren't putting spaces after your punctuation marks. Just thought you might want to know.

Hi,cherryhouse, I'm newbie here, is it the tradition here?;) Thanks your tips.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:Original post by timaer
HI,Steve,I suppose that's because I think the standard Win32 's appearence is too common,and it seems we dont have much control of the appearence of them,like customizing them.I want to use DirectDraw to make the UI appearence more impressive.
I should have been clearer [smile] I meant, why don't you want to use Win32 for the window messages? You can still use Win32 messages for the message pump, and render the controls how you wish. It'd probably be easier to use window messages for handling text input, since they deal with switching to system menus, upper/lowercase letters, etc.

Thanks Steve, I know your meaning more clearly. Win32 message looks powerful, I just want to know whether simply using DirectInput could have that done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement