• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deterium

Numerical integration and collision detection

This topic is 4526 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im developing a framework for rigid body simulations and in the process of implementing a couple of collision detection algorithms. Before i start implementing i have some troubles on my mind. For example with the RK4 method i calculate four deratives and then the weighted average for each object and i was starting to wonder were the collision detection step would fit in. In order to retain the accuracy of the RK4 i guess you should do the collision check with each Derative you calculate but wouldn´t that cause strange things to happen? For example if you apply a thrust to the left to two objects which are positioned side by side eachother and then do the integration. When you calculate the second Derative for the first object(first object is on the right side) and integrate the position for that Derative the object may intersect the second. When you check for collision for the second derative for the first object a collision will be found and the object will be moved and forces recalculated but that is not the result you want because you haven´t integrated the second object yet and it will move in the same direction so no collision will occour. Does anyone have any solutions to my problems?

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!