Casting derived classes from void*

Started by
21 comments, last by owl 18 years ago
Is the following too ugly? Do you know a better/safer/neater way of doing this?

void* CBase::GetClass(string name)
{
  if ("CBase"==name)
    return this;

return 0;
}

void* CDerived::GetClass(string name)
{
   void* retval = CBase::GetClass(name);
   if(!retval)
     if ("CBase"==name)
       retval = this;

return retval;
}

[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
You should really be passing your strings as constant references.
If all the classes derive from one common base class, you can return that as a return type instead of void

Personally, I'd do it like this:
class CBase{   // ...   virtual CBase* GetClass(const std::string& strName)   {      if(strName == "CBase")         return this;      return NULL;   }   // ...}class CDerived : public CBase{   // ...   virtual CBase* GetClass(const std::string& strName)   {      if(strName == "CDerived")         return this;      return CBase;:GetClass(strName);   }   // ...}

I.e. check if the derived class supports the interface, and if not, pass it off to the base class.
Yes, that's a lot nicer.

But, I use void* in this case because the base class doesn't supply the functionality of the derived class. Specifically, it's a generic Service interface. So, to access the functionality of a specific service I need to get a pointer to the derived class directly.
Quote:Original post by owl
Yes, that's a lot nicer.

But, I use void* in this case because the base class doesn't supply the functionality of the derived class. Specifically, it's a generic Service interface. So, to access the functionality of a specific service I need to get a pointer to the derived class directly.
In that case, you can stick with void*, or you could go the COM way, and force all services to derive from a base class. Even if it's empty, it still makes the code a little easier to read. It also gives you a place to have a function like GetClassName() which would return a string indicating the name of the class (for debugging, serialization, etc).
This is a reasonable way to do QueryInterface style fetching of implementations.

I would probably wrap it in a template getter, and use typeid() instead of strings.

class InterfaceBase {  public:    template< typename T >    T * getInterface() {      return (T*)getInterface(typeid(T));    }  protected:    virtual void * getInterface(typeinfo const & ti) = 0;};void * InterfaceBase::getInterface(typeinfo const & ti){  return 0;}class CBase : public InterfaceBase {  protected:    void * getInterface(typeinfo const & ti ) {      if( ti == typeid(CBase) ) {        return this;      }      return InterfaceBase::getInterface( ti );    }};class CDerived : public CBase {  protected:    void * getInterface(typeinfo const & ti ) {      if( ti == typeid(CDerived) ) {        return this;      }      return CBase::getInterface( ti );    }};

And, once you look at this implementation, you could see a simple way to wrap the implementation of getInterface() in a macro or two. (Two, if you want to be able to return delegates)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by owl

You do know that return type does not participate in function overload resolution, don't you?

You could just do something like the following.
class Base{  virtual Base* GetClass(const string&);};class Derived: public Base{  virtual Derived* GetClass(const string&);};

That would avoid all that C-with-classes void* stuff.

On the other hand, usually any sort of hand-hewn RTTI is usually a big red flag that you need to rethink your design anyhey.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
or you could go the COM way, and force all services to derive from a base class. Even if it's empty, it still makes the code a little easier to read. It also gives you a place to have a function like GetClassName() which would return a string indicating the name of the class (for debugging, serialization, etc).

How's the COM way?

I derive all the services from a class IService, which is pretty much, a dummy interface. They are stored in a map<string, IService> in a IServices class.

When I need, say, a service for rendering I call:
IRenderer* p = (IRenderer*)Services->Service("Renderer")->Concrete();

Concrete() should return the last derived concrete class. I was thinking about parametrizing the concrete class one can access and I thought to make it like in the original post.

Do you feel this is a decent way of doing this? Tnx.
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
This is a reasonable way to do QueryInterface style fetching of implementations.

I would probably wrap it in a template getter, and use typeid() instead of strings.

[...]

And, once you look at this implementation, you could see a simple way to wrap the implementation of getInterface() in a macro or two. (Two, if you want to be able to return delegates)

I thought about using typeids at first, but somewhere in the middle of the implementation I changed my mind to strings for some reason I quite dont rememeber right now... I'm trying to make this as OCP as I can and to stay away of macros as much as I can too.

But I don't know how much I'm going to last with this philosophy :)
In any heirarchy in C++ with a common base class you would NEVER use a void *.

The only time to use void * is when their is no common base.

In C++ you pass around the base class pointer and use dynamic_cast to see if it is a derived class object of a certain type (if necessary - which often isn't once the design is cleaned up).
Quote:Original post by Xai
In any heirarchy in C++ with a common base class you would NEVER use a void *.

The only time to use void * is when their is no common base.

Why should I NEVER use void*? Is it because I'm risking myself to cast an object to a wrong pointer? Does dynamic_cast save me from making the same mistake?

tnx.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement