• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Caramelo

[j2me 3D] How do you optmize?

This topic is 4511 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Working on a 3D blocks j2me (jsr-184 api) game. However I'm kind of stuck on optmization - it's still a bit slow, although I'm only rendering about ~400 triangles . That's about 30-35 textured cubes (64x64 textures). Anyway, I just read about a couple of techniques here , the '3D bind-release' really gave me a boost. If you guys know more stuff like that, or got something as you experimented, pls share some info ;-) [edit/] when I said slow, I meant 12-15fps on N6630 with 30 textured cubes on screen!

Advertisement
Hello!

I am also working on a 3d bricks-game in M3G. Notice, that when you render the scene it's not the triangle count which influences your performance the most. The greatest impact is the number of independent objects (due to expensive transformation calculations). Thus, you should do everything to keep the minimal amount of objects in the scene. In my game I have about 100 bricks rendered at one time so I keep them as a single mesh.

What rendering mode do you use - immediate or retained ?

12-15 is a really good framerate for a mobile game.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
12-15 is a really good framerate for a mobile game.

I work in the cell phone industry and I know there are some phones that wished they could achieve this with 2D graphics, let alone think about 3D. Standard "good" fps in cell phones is completely different from the PC.

Hi clapton,
yep, thanx for the mesh hint. I will consider this in a future projects, since I had to complete this one fast.
I use retained mode (Is there really a big difference between R and I in m3g?)

There is also another factor in 'rendering speed' besides triangles, as I read - it also matters the amount of pixels that will be drawn on the display.

Anyway, you guys are right, I guess 15fps is good enough, though after a few tricks I managed to go up to 20fps on Nokia ;-) .

Quote:
There is also another factor in 'rendering speed' besides triangles, as I read - it also matters the amount of pixels that will be drawn on the display.

Yes, that's true. Actually, Sony phones are quite fill-limited so watch out for your textures!

Quote:
Anyway, you guys are right, I guess 15fps is good enough, though after a few tricks I managed to go up to 20fps on Nokia ;-) .

20 FPS ?? :O I wish my game could work like this! Well, it _worked_ like that (Nokia 6630) but only in the very early stage. How did you do that ? Is it the way you organize the scenegraph ?

So far I've been using immediate mode. I heard it is faster for most applications since there are more things you can optimize manually. But anyway, I don't know what is better after comparing framerate of my game to yours.

Could you post some screenshots, please (PM?) ?

Cheers

havent done much with 184 or 3d on phones...but from what i herd if the phone has support for MascotCapsule...it is much faster than jsr 184 on sony erricson phones

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!