• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Problem with 2D Collisions

This topic is 4345 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I seem to be having trouble getting my collsion code to work. I am using the law of conservation of momentum to determine the resultant velocities of the two objects involved in a collision. The problem is when one of the objects possess zero momentum. This object will start to penetrate through the other object which has momentum. I know that the object should start travelling at the same velocity as the object which has momentum. For example when a player hits a moving platform travelling in the opposite direction. The player should travel upwards at the same velocity since the platform has much greater mass. Here is the code that I am using:
FNGE_VECTOR vecNormal = m_SpriteManager.getPlayer()->getCenter() - m_SpriteManager.getMiddleground(m_MiddlegroundID)->getCenter();

vecNormal.Normalize();

// Project the velocities of the player and the middleground object onto the normal.

float fPlayerVelocity = m_SpriteManager.getPlayer()->getVelocity().DotProduct(vecNormal);

float fObjectVelocity = m_SpriteManager.getMiddleground(m_MiddlegroundID)->getVelocity().DotProduct(vecNormal);

float fP = (2.0 * (fPlayerVelocity  - fObjectVelocity)) / (m_SpriteManager.getPlayer()->getMass() + m_SpriteManager.getMiddleground(m_MiddlegroundID)->getMass());

FNGE_VECTOR vecPlayerVelocity = m_SpriteManager.getPlayer()->getVelocity() - (vecNormal * fP * m_SpriteManager.getMiddleground(m_MiddlegroundID)->getMass());
FNGE_VECTOR vecObjectVelocity = m_SpriteManager.getMiddleground(m_MiddlegroundID)->getVelocity() + (vecNormal * fP * m_SpriteManager.getPlayer()->getMass());

m_SpriteManager.getPlayer()->setVelocity(vecPlayerVelocity.x, vecPlayerVelocity.y, vecPlayerVelocity.z);

m_SpriteManager.getMiddleground(m_MiddlegroundID)->setVelocity(vecObjectVelocity.x, vecObjectVelocity.y, vecObjectVelocity.z);

Advertisement
Are you doing elastic or inelastic collisions (or even perfect inelastic)? Either way, it looks like you're setting your momentum (fP) wrong.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement