Game Idea Discussion

Started by
8 comments, last by Sneftel 18 years ago
I have been looking for a while now for a place where I could just bring up a game discussion thread where you can just post new ideas for games. You can even make up a whole story line. Okay, well, I've been trying to look for this because I've had an idea for a game for a very very long time, and it's ben bugging ever since I first thought of it to get it out somewhere. So, here it is. The name is The Warriors of Ethriale. Here's the story. (I'm not sure how to spell continent) You do not have to read it, but I think it's a good story. There once was a great alliance of kings. They ruled over the entire eastern continent. The alliance was split up into five different kingdoms all over the eastern continent. They were, Nemos, ruled by Jinath, Canor, ruled by Retanor, Triet, ruled by Herman, Gimoria, ruled by Trinor, and Ethriale, ruled by Mithan. Mithan was chosen to be leader of the alliance. It was under his power where to put the five Crystals of Gimoria. These crystals had the power to control a human, control the earth, and even control the stars. He split them evenly among the five kingdoms, as to make sure no kingdom was to become to powerful. Under the jurisdiction of Mithan, the eastern continent was peaceful There's always a perpetrator... The evil wizard Polius, who was the leader of the dark western continent, wanted the crystals for his own use. He figured out that he would only have to figure out the location of the crystals and he could take them. He sent spies over from his dark empire to figure out the location of the five crystals. Once they told Polius, he took the crystals and with that, he took over the entire eastern continent within a day with the power of the crystals. You and group of about 5,000 Gimorians decide to rebel against the power of Polius. You must search and find all of the crystals, take them back and use them against Polius... good luck. End
Advertisement
That's not a game idea. It's a back story. It could apply just as easily to a puzzle game ("On each screen, collect the crystal and get to the exit before time runs out") as an FPS ("Use your crossbow to kick the asses of the Polians and recover the crystals").

As a back story, it's pretty good. It's a little cliched (Okay, it's VERY cliched) but if the game isn't purely story-driven it'll do fine.
cliched?
Well anyway, it would be like a war game where you use swords and you have to fight your way through battles, and you'll have objectives. It's like a war game today except it's more mid-evil
Yes. "The evil wizard/sorceress/vizier has taken over the kingdom. In order to defeat him/her, you must recover a set of crystals/staff pieces/statue fragments which are the source of their power/can be combined to form their only weakness" is the plotline for about half the fantasy games out there.
oh I see.
I should come up with something, hmm... more fresh?
Well, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Quote:Original post by Twilightlink
oh I see.
I should come up with something, hmm... more fresh?

Not necessarily. That storyline is cliched for a reason: It is, finally, a resonant and flexible premise for a video game, and one which fits well into the parallel-goal-oriented model. You need to flesh out the gameplay, though.
Ok

So I should say what they do in like every battle and inbetween battles?
(sorry about all the questions)
I got to got, thank you a lot. Bye
Quote:Original post by Twilightlink
So I should say what they do in like every battle and inbetween battles?

You should say, at a bare minimum, what battles are like. What are the player's possible actions? Does he click the mouse button to slash with his sword, or click the mouse button and make a quick diagonal slashing motion for a counter-riposte? Where is the view from? Will the player need to sneak around, and if so, what will that consist of? This list of questions isn't exhaustive, it's to demonstrate the sort of things you need to think about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement