Does order of "set..." calls to device matter?

Started by
1 comment, last by jujumbura 18 years ago
Hello all, I have been having some very strange results when trying to draw a scene with both filled/textured triangle-composed objects together with objects composed of lines. For example, I'm trying to draw my bounding cube around my model. The cube is just a bunch of line-connected vertices which hold a color and a position, drawn by the "DrawIndexedPrimitve() command. But the cube only shows up in my second viewport( I have two viewports, split screen ). Everything else shows up in both viewports, including all of the textured meshes/terrain, and even the normals ( which I also draw with lines ). The only thing I've been able to figure out, is that it has something to do with the "SetTexture()" call in my Model's render section. If I REMOVE the SetTexture call in the Model's render section ( which is the last rendering done before the cube gets rendered ), then the cube doesn't show up in EITHER viewport. I'm thinking that maybe I'm making some device calls in a funny order, because since my intent is just to draw the cube's lines with the color values at the vertices, the texture shouldn't have anything to do with it. I'll post the cube's render section and the model's render section here. Please let me know if you have any ideas, or need more information. Cube:

//No texture has been set
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_SELECTARG2);
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COL ORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT);

//Select vertex buffer
	m_pd3dDevice->SetStreamSource(0, m_pVertexBuffer, 0, sizeof(CRVertex));
	m_pd3dDevice->SetFVF( D3DFVF_CRVERTEX );
	//Select index buffer
	m_pd3dDevice->SetIndices(m_pIndexBuffer);

//Turn off lighting
	m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING,FALSE);

//Draw the primitives
	m_pd3dDevice->DrawIndexedPrimitive(D3DPT_LINELIST, 0, 0, m_iVertTotalCount, 0, 12);
Model:

//A texture has been set. We want our texture to be shaded based
	//on the current light levels, so used D3DTOP_MODULATE.
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE);
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
	m_pd3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_CURRENT);

//Turn on lighting
	m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_LIGHTING,TRUE);

for (DWORD i=0; i<numMaterials; i++)
	{

// Set the material and texture for this subset
		m_pd3dDevice->SetMaterial(&meshMaterials);
		m_pd3dDevice->SetTexture(0,meshTextures);

// Draw the mesh subset
		mesh->DrawSubset( i );
	}
Advertisement
*shameless bump*

Anyone? Am I not providing enough information?
Heh. In case anyone was wondering about this ( doubtful ;) ...

I figured it out. If you notice, I was using D3DTS_SELECTARG2 when drawing my cube made from lines. I was under the impression that when you set arg2 to D3DTS_CURRENT, it used whatever color value existed already. This is clearly not quite the case. What I needed to do was to use D3DTOP_DISABLE instead, and now the line-cube renders properly.

Is there a detailed site anywhere about where you would want to use all of the different kinds of values you can set in SetTextureStageState() ? The one at toymaker is OK, but I kinda had to figure this one out on my own...

jujumbura

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement