• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

LISP bytecode

This topic is 4349 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I have made a very basic LISP interpreter, that I'm happy with - at least for an exercise. Now, I'd like to see if I can grasp the next step, making a compiler to bytecode and a program that runs the bytecode. However, I'm a little blank on how to implement this; could someone point me at a tutorial or article to get started? My Google-fu has failed me, alas.

Advertisement
No? OK, let me rephrase the question. Does anyone know of a good resource or tutorial for making any sort of virtual machine running bytecode, at all? If not I'll have to figure it out myself, and the result will be a slow, hacked-up mess. You don't want to unleash that on the world, do you? Don't come and say I didn't warn you!

Look up a book called "Lisp In Small Pieces" by Christian Queinnec; I've found that it's one of the best guides there is to actually understanding how Lisps work under the hood. I believe it goes over various features such as interpretation, compiling to bytecode, basic optimization, and adding more advanced features like continuations (it's been a while though, so I may be wrong).

You might also want to look at the Scheme48 source; I've heard it's designed to be used for learning and experimenting with, so. Apart from that... google around, ask on the comp.lang.lisp newsgroup, stuff like that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement