• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help needed on MBR?

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know about MBR or BootSector? I want to Add something between MBR and BootSector when PC is booted. I even don't know what language to use on that. I need some information about that. Any articles or links will be apprieciated.

Advertisement
Have a look at this article. It talks specifically about Linux, but the principles apply to any PC OS.

Basically, what you probably want to do is write a custom bootloader. Have a look at the LiLo (LinuxLoader) and GRUB (Grand Unified Bootloader) projects for examples of how these work. If I recall correctly both projects are open-source, so you should be able to use them to get some code to help get you started.

If I had program that wanted to mess with the master boot record for the sake of protecting some data, I might be tempted to stick a spork in the eye socket of its developer.

A good advice: Don't try to manipulate the MBR on your working system... set up a second system where you can play with the MBR. Else your data might be gone earlier as you wanted. Trust me!
For this task you won't get away without assembly.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement