Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Temper

Light mapping techniques

What kind of way would be optimal to do light mapping? There''s two possible ways I can think of doing this. 1) I include an extra mapping coordinates for every vertex I have and use them to draw light map blending it with diffuse color and base texture (and possibly ''detail'' texture) 2) I draw separate transparent polygons containing the light texture map over every face in the light range Using the way 1) I would: + have a constant amount of polygons independent from the number of lights. - have to use one texturing unit for light mapping and thus slowing down the rendering of the possible third texture since most of current hardware (gf2) sports 2 simultaneous textures in single pass. (radeon and nv20 have 3) - have to use at least two floats of mapping coordinates for EVERY vertex that are sent to 3d accelerator and so jamming the bus a little bit. Using the way 2) I would: + not have to have the extra mapping coordinate in every vertex + not have to draw the extra polygon in places aren''t ''lit'' - possibly have to create new vertices every frame for the light maps (there might be a way to get around this?) - have much more vertices to render and to send down the bus Oh and I don''t even know how light mapping is ''meant'' to be done, so if I''m talking bull shit just correct me please