• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
karx11erx

Computing w component of vertices?

This topic is 4525 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently trying to implement shadow volumes following a paper from NVidia on this subject (find it here). They are rendering the volume faces using glVertex4f(x,y,z,w), supplying a w component as fourth argument. The paper mentions a plane equation Ax+By+Cz+Dw=0, but I only know Ax+By+Cz+d=0 (where (A,B,C) is the plane's normal and (x,y,z) a point of the plane). How do I compute this w component?

Advertisement
Nice theory, thanks, but I still don't know how to compute my w's for shadow rendering following that NVidia document now. What is the w of the light position? 1.0? And how do I get the w of a an object's silhouette vertex?

Well what ever w is it is a common ratio that is applied to x,y,z as per that article. When w is supplied and is not equal to 1.0 then the points are multiplied by that ratio of w.

w isn't a real number, it is imaginary. It holds no real value other than plotting imaginary points in space from what I understand.

Maybe if you explained what you need to use the w for I could assist you a little more.

I suppose an interesting use would be to plot a 3 dimensional figure volumetrically by keeping the same x,y,z coords and just modifying the w coord > 1.0 and < 1.0 which would create a sort of "voluming" effect on your object.

I have understood how the w param is applied, but the article doesn't mention any numerical values for w - the authors just juggle around with it. I think they just included it for completeness, in case someone actually used this value. So I am using 1.0 in my code.

Actually I am trying to draw a shadow volume. This w param is mentioned when projecting two vertices of an object's silhouette's edge to infinity, as seen from a singular light source. I just can't get this to work though. It looks totally whacked on screen. Here is an image:

Currently I am using a single light source to make debugging easier. As far as I can tell, I have taken the code literally from the document linked to in my first post. You can see that this works by no way though. It looks like a lot of the model faces don't get drawn, or some of the zpass/zfail test don't work or whatever.

Holy crap, why isn't there a single useful tutorial on OpenGL in the whole internet. This stuff looked so simple.

[Edited by - karx11erx on April 1, 2006 3:51:39 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!