Microsoft's GDC 2006 Presentations are available

Started by
29 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years ago
Just a quick heads-up for those of you who don't regularly check the DirectX Developer Center you might want to point your browser at the presentations page.. For those who weren't lucky enough to attend GDC there should be plenty of useful information to pick up from these slides - XNA, XBox 360, Direct3D 10, Windows Vista and so on. EDIT: I just came across a whole load more GDC slides [smile] I've not had a chance to read through all of them, but the following few grabbed my attention. Probably best to browse the above list yourself though [wink] Ritual: Next-Gen Visual Effects on Direct3D 10 Shadow Mapping Tricks and Techniques When Shaders and Textures Collide (1 of 2) When Shaders and Textures Collide (2 of 2) Extremely Practical Shadows Advanced Light and Shadow Culling MethodsEDIT2: Whilst not strictly DirectX related, Microsoft revealed a fair few details about their "XBox Live Arcade" (XBLA) platform - something every Indie developer should be interested in. Read superpig's write-up here. Cheers, Jack [Edited by - jollyjeffers on April 5, 2006 9:47:03 AM]

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Thanks jollyjeffers for keeping us updated .

Good thing you pointed out this - I'm beginning the serious win32 programming only now (I was doing cross-OS things before) so this is really useful for me.
Thank you!

Previously "Krohm"

Quote:Original post by Krohm
I'm beginning the serious win32 programming only now (I was doing cross-OS things before) so this is really useful for me.
If you're particularly interested in the "best practices" and general "games for windows" type stuff then the SDK Technical Articles are also an essential read.

hth
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Damnit, why doesn't this PC have PowerPoint on it? [sad]
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
If you're particularly interested in the "best practices" and general "games for windows" type stuff then the SDK Technical Articles are also an essential read.

hth
Jack

Well (believe it or not), I'm re-reading all the SDK (platform, DX and more)!
Anyway, I wanted to drop all other operative systems because I knew something about win32. Windows installer 3.x is great value as far as I've read!

Previously "Krohm"

Very nice, I'll have to check these out soon. I already glanced through the 360 & Multi-core ones, and they look pretty good.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
I already glanced through the 360 & Multi-core ones, and they look pretty good.
Well at least you've got a "multi-socket multi-core" machine to try those things on [cry]

I so have to get me some new kit to try out this MP goodness.

Cheers,
Jack

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
I already glanced through the 360 & Multi-core ones, and they look pretty good.
I so have to get me some new kit to try out this MP goodness.

You should see what it would cost for you to put one together. Mine was lower than I thought it would be ($2000 US), but you could cut back on some components if you needed to.

Also note that the Intel Xeons are now cheaper than their AMD Opteron counterparts. It kinda surprised me at first, because I don't keep up with these things.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
You should see what it would cost for you to put one together. Mine was lower than I thought it would be ($2000 US), but you could cut back on some components if you needed to.
Yeah, I've been giving it some thought... but at the same time I've also been wondering whether the prices (+availability of new parts) around Vista's eventual release will shake things up. That is, investing a load of cash now and finding that something bigger and better could be had if I'd waited a few more months [smile]

I have been tempted to put together a very simple system with a strong motherboard and limited extra parts (e.g. less RAM and cheap GPU) and then upgrade them once Vista (+D3D10 parts) are out.

I dunno really, always a gamble I suppose!

Cheers,
Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement