Help Needed on Hook Harddisk I/O On Windows XP

Started by
3 comments, last by Anon Mike 18 years ago
I want to Hook all Harddisk I/O.My target operating system is windows XP. I have heard one way is to Install an "intermidiate" device driver for that purpose.But I don't know the detail.Hope someone give some information.
Advertisement
You probably want to install an intermediate driver below the file system, but above the hard disk device driver. Start here.
Is there any Examples which explains how to develop an intermediate driver below the file system, but above the hard disk device driver?Or someone gives
me a good forum link which specializes in driver development.
Look here for some nice articles about device driver development.
What you are thinking of is called a "filter driver".

At your local book werehouse there will undoubtedly be a vast number of books going into the basics of Windows driver development. You will also need the Windows Driver Development Kit (DDK). I don't know if this is downloadable from MS like the SDK is or not.

I don't know your level of experience but just in case I'll mention that even relatively simple drivers are not beginners projects. If you're lucky a minor mistake will only bluescreen your machine. It's very easy to render your OS installation unbootable. It's also very easy for everything to appear to work fine but in reality it's silently going around corrupting the kernel.
-Mike

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement