Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DigiKid

The Weird thing about DirectX tutorials and some books?!?!?!

DigiKid    122
I put this post in another section, but felt this was more appropriate so here it is again. Ok, how far should I be looking into DirectX when programming? I seem to be trying to find out exactly what each function/class is and how it works! THis is leading to great headaches! How is it suppose to be done? It seems the general way people are going about it is to cut and paste, having no idea what the functions in directX are actually doing? Is this true (not a flame, just a question)? How far in depth should I go when trying to program with DirectX? I see alot of tutorials and help pages basically say the following: Direct 3d is great! It allows for 3d objects. This is the code: some really unfamiliar code, some more unfamiliar code. . . blah blah blah With no explanation about how the function works, how they came up with it, where it''s from, and maybe some explanation on what it does? There has to be a good place to find information. I have purchased some books on the subject, but they seem to do the same thing. Any ideas? (flames welcomed from the immature programmers that know it all but don''t have a game out or anything to show)

simon_brown75    123
The best place to find the info you need is in the DX SDK. Everything you need to know is in there. Although it may sound like a load of jargon on first reading it, the SDK does contain a description of the purpose and usage of every function, plus detailed info on how to program with DX. It also has enough tutorials to get you started.

Have a look on the DX8 SDK CD and find the documentation in Word format (*.doc), it''s a lot easier to read, plus I''d advise you to print-out the DirectX Graphics section, dgraphics.doc, then sit down and read it (this helped me tremendously). You don''t need to print it all, just the first few sections (Introduction to DirectX Graphics, Undertanding DirectX Graphics and Using DirectX Graphics) which will come to a few hundred pages.

You certainly need to know what every line of code is doing. Cutting and pasting, which everyone probably did to start with (including me) will only get you so far.