Tank movement prototype

Started by
11 comments, last by jonahrowley 18 years ago
This is to be a space-invaders type game. I also wanted you to be able to shoot in any direction, so I added mouse control. Then I relized that keyboard control was redundant. How do you think these this control scheme will work? http://rapidshare.de/files/16825457/Tank_Prototype.zip.html Feel free to mock my horrible artwork.
Advertisement
I haven't opened the .ZIP yet, so bear with me oif my remarks are useless...

Do I understand you well? Both the mouse controls AND the keyboard controls are for moving the turret? Then how does the tank move?

If I was you, I would go for the "keyboard for tank movement, Mouse for turret" way, because Mouse movements are much more intuitive, like in any FPS. That's why FPS creators are using the keyboard to move around, and the mouse to shoot. Can you imagine FarCry with the movements on the mouse, and the shooting commands on the keyboard?
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
No no, the mouse controls both the turrent and motion. I thought it was pretty neat, please try it :P
Quote:Original post by jonahrowley
No no, the mouse controls both the turrent and motion. I thought it was pretty neat, please try it :P

Rightfully so, it IS pretty neat. However, depending on what kind of game you're making I'm not sure it will be so functional...for example, take straight Space Invaders - what if you want to shoot at an alien that is directly behind one of the barriers? The tank will roll behind the barrier and begin shooting that instad. If there were no barriers though, your tank would almost automatically be moving on a course to pick up any power-ups that would fall from the enemy after it was defeated...

By the way, the artwork is really pretty, something I found a little surprising for what I figured would be a fast prototype.. I just noticed you said it was "my horrible artwork" - you made that yourself??? I wish I was talented enough to do both programming and art! :)
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
Quote:Original post by Frequency

Rightfully so, it IS pretty neat. However, depending on what kind of game you're making I'm not sure it will be so functional...for example, take straight Space Invaders - what if you want to shoot at an alien that is directly behind one of the barriers? The tank will roll behind the barrier and begin shooting that instad. If there were no barriers though, your tank would almost automatically be moving on a course to pick up any power-ups that would fall from the enemy after it was defeated...

I'm not too sure what the game will be like yet. You're right, there are many situations where this would probably be downright annoying.

Quote:By the way, the artwork is really pretty, something I found a little surprising for what I figured would be a fast prototype.. I just noticed you said it was "my horrible artwork" - you made that yourself??? I wish I was talented enough to do both programming and art! :)

You're kidding, right? That's 5 minutes of work in Paint.net :P
I agree with Frequency concerns.
What if the enemies drop bombs. If you try to shoot them, you'll roll right in the path of the bombs.
In the end, it depends on the type of game your making. Good Luck.
0xa0000000
Quote:Original post by jonahrowleyYou're kidding, right? That's 5 minutes of work in Paint.net :P

Frequency suspects either JR is being modest or Frequency is even worse than the average programming 'artist'.
Well, I've decided to go ahead and write a game around it. I'll play around with some different gameplay options, but I think I have a good idea that combines both the movement and shooting nicely. Already designed the class hierarchy, and I'm already making a few different tanks.

This game development stuff is pretty easy when you just sit down and do it :P The game design part I'm not quite too sure about yet. By what metric do you measure "fun"?
The game design part I'm not quite too sure about yet. By what metric do you measure "fun"?

That's a good question and evidently the answer only comes from experience (or so I've heard...). Right now I can think up just about any idea and immediately shoot it down as crap, but what about games like Pong? If I thought to myself "I'm going to design a game where you move a bar up or down to stop a ball from getting past" I would punch myself, and yet.
for a space invaders type game i´d stick with tank movement and gun control being separate. it adds a bit of complexity, but will spare the players frustrating moments of trying to aim and accidentally drag the tank in the path of projectiles.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement