SourceForge and GNU

Started by
19 comments, last by _Sigma 18 years ago
Quote:Choose a license that a non-native English speaker can understand. There are many to choose from.
Such as?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by _Sigma
Quote:Choose a license that a non-native English speaker can understand. There are many to choose from.
Such as?

Open Source Initiative-approved licenses

Some of my favorites include The CNRI Python License, The Python Software Foundation License (it looks lengthy, but it actually contains a history of Python and three separate licenses), The MIT License, The zlib/libpng License and, of course, The BSD License.

An interesting licenses is The Jabber Open Source License, beceause it includes a preamble that explains each of the terms of the license in plain english.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by _Sigma
Such as?

Open Source Initiative-approved licenses

Some of my favorites include The CNRI Python License, The Python Software Foundation License (it looks lengthy, but it actually contains a history of Python and three separate licenses), The MIT License, The zlib/libpng License and, of course, The BSD License.

An interesting licenses is The Jabber Open Source License, beceause it includes a preamble that explains each of the terms of the license in plain english.

Yey, none of those licenses will keep people from ripping off his code, which was a requirement in his first post.
It depends on what you mean by "ripping off your code". It also depends on how much you want people to help with your software or use your software/source code.

If you don't want people using your code to make money at all (this all assumes your code is any good), then don't make it Open Source in the first place.

I'd suggest against GPL simply because it's a sucky licence. Although, It might meet your needs simply because it's more restrictive.

Remember that the GPL is more about virally "consuming" software projects into its own collective (think Borg), than any kind of protection for your own work. I think this is a fate far worse than having other people benefit from your work, but you might feel differently.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Yey, none of those licenses will keep people from ripping off his code, which was a requirement in his first post.

Depends on your definition of 'ripping off', but he has to at least release the source in order to get hosted at sf.net - which was also in his first post.

[size="1"]
Oh boy....this is becoming way more confusing that I'd hoped! I guess I'll look at all these today and try to sort them out. So I just append the licesne to my file(s) and I'm licensed?
You could take a look at OpenSVN, instead of SourceForge. It's not open source, so you may not have to release any source code. Get in contact with the operators though, just to be certain.
Whew, that was a lot of reading! I must admit, I do like the MIT license. Pretty much "here you go, knock yourself out." Which is nice, but I do like how the GPL forces derived programs to be opensource. I do not have any false illusions of grandure, I know my game engine will never been good enough for a commercial game, mainly b/c I don't have those skills yet. If I can make it run well, and have a small zelda clone running off of it, I'd the be the happiest man alive. But if someone else went "Hey! I could use this", well I'd love them to be able to use it. So, I'm thinking GPL, but it seems mildly confusing. So, should I just not worry about it, and go MIT, and let anyone who uses it(provided I can finish the damn thing) just what they will with it? B/c the MIT license actually makes sense...Does this seem like a good idea?

Quote:It depends on what you mean by "ripping off your code". It also depends on how much you want people to help with your software or use your software/source code.

Ripping off meaning, taking my work and pretending its theirs. As for how much help, I'd kinda like to do it on my own, and for others using it, well like I stated above, I'm not sure how much quality I'm ending up with, but if just one person used it, I'd be tickled pink.

Quote:Yey, none of those licenses will keep people from ripping off his code,

Ok I'm thinking I might need to change my requirments.
N e w R e q u i r m e n t s
1) I want to be able to stop being claiming my code as theirs
2) I want others to be able to use my (potentially) usefull game engine for whatever they want, but to acknoledge me as the orignial author.
3) I want the fucking license to make sense for those whose first language might not be english and/or those who can't understand what the hell the license is trying to state.

There I think that's a little better. So....I'm still really really really confused as to what I should do. Even though you have all been super helpful and informative. So...anymore input would be fantastic! Thanks!!
Well after thinking about it, I think I'm going to go with the MIT license, and just not really worry about it =) Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
yes.
[size="1"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement