programming language for simple 2d game?

Started by
13 comments, last by xhyldazhk 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I want to create a simple 2D game, kind of like an arcade game. What language should I use? C/C++,Flash,C#,JAVA,Shockwave,C# .... I would like to spend as little time as possible on it. I'm guessing something like C++ with DirectX is the most complicated and time consuming. And I don't want the user to deal with complex things(like installing a JRE). What do you guys recommend? thanks
Advertisement
If you don't want to take weeks of learning and efforts to get a simple guy jumping, I'd really recommand flash, I have made countless games with it before coming to c++ and at the end, I mastered flash enough that I could do a simple smash brothers style game in less than a week. It is very user-friendly and easy to use and you can create nice effects without having to do tons of maths, because you can draw them easily. Moreover, there is a large community to help you. If you are new to programming or you simply want to do a game quickly, go for flash.

However if you don't want to do any programming then you might look at "The games factory" from clickteam. Super easy and fast developpement and a very small learning curve.
Quote:I would like to spend as little time as possible on it.

QBasic. Or QuickBasic... You can compile your program into a standalone .exe with QuickBasic, I don't think you can with QBasic, but they both use the same language.

If you'd rather not program it, as was already said, a game creator type program should do you justice. Especially since it's a 2d arcade game, that's what those programs excel at. "The Games Factory" is great for scroller type 2d games.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Well, while it does require a bit of programming, C++ with SDL is good choice for a simple 2D arcade style game, but I'm sure theres other options that don't require as much work.
My Current Project Angels 22 (4E5)
Thanks for all the replies.
Flash and "The Games Factory" seem like interesting ideas to me. I worked in C++ w/ SDL before but I know that it is a lot of work. You have to create a class that shows a menu, one that reads a config file, one that controls the hall of fame. If you want to have something with curves and physics you have to write a level loader and a physics/collision class. How hard would it be to implement those things using flash or something like "The Games Factory" in comparison?

To clarify the game type: I want to have a game where a ball rolls down a curved slope and the user can catch it in a basket.
I'd go with a dynamic language. Python and Pygame are decent, plus Python is a highly-reflective decent OO language, it's portable, and easy to work with and learn. The performance is not really an issue unless you're doing some major calculations in your game code, which is not typical for simple 2d games.
If you want to use something like TGF, I would use Gamemaker . Otherwise listen to everyone else.
Quote:Original post by blackviper91
If you want to use something like TGF, I would use Gamemaker . Otherwise listen to everyone else.

For emphasis.

edit: fixed link.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

yeah ive decided on going to collge for game programming and im excited to learn all the aspevts of creating a game. But for right now I wouldng mind letting my mind wonder and create a few games "easy". So im glad to see this thread..
This page really helped, but I can't findwhere to get flash. If someone could tell me, it would be great.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement