• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
AndyEsser

.3ds DLL File

This topic is 4523 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yes this is another 'Can someone tell me about 3DS format' question but I think it's quite a good one. I've read a load of info about the 3ds format and everythign but can't get my head around it. Now what I'm basically asking is there anyone who has, or knows of, a 3ds DLL that holds all the functions for importing 3ds into like a VBO or VA which I can easily integrate into my project? Surely the number of people who ask these kinda questions? If not then i'll keep plugging away at it and then try and create one myself but I'm not really that good. Thanks for any help anyone can give?

Advertisement
Did you created your own plugin for 3ds max? Or are you just saving a scene and attempting to load all the data you need from there?

I recommend to do the first instead trying the latter, if your program needs to load it on fly instead when initialising. I created a plugin that exports only what I do need, I tried to load it all from the 3ds file (with alot of frustration on the way). It ended up in bugged source code, after that I spend 2 weeks writting a plugin, that saves a scene (series of objects) to a file, with my own layout. It decreased loading time with a factor of 3 (happy moment there).

If you don't know how to begin writing a plugin for 3ds max, you can install a 3DS SDK which explains how to.

If this all far-fetched, you can also used to ubär Max-script, which lets you export all data you need to file.

I hope I opened some ways for you, to look into.

Regards,

Xeile

Thanks very much guys, I think I'll try writing my own plugin for Max which saves only what i need in a way that's easy for me to use. Thanks very much guys for your help

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!