• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

MSVC Project Directories

This topic is 4433 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where MSVC stores it's Project Directory settings? i.e. the list of include and lib paths? Or know where it's documented? I am looking for locations for 6.0, 7.1, & 8.0. I am looking specifically for the IDE directories, not the project specific ones (I know those are in the project files {.dsp, .vcproj}). I've been rooting around in the registry and haven't been able to locate them.

Advertisement
I'm not sure they're in the registry at all. VC++ Express 2005 seems to put them in the following file:
D:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages\VCProjectEngine.Dll.Express.Config

There's also a similar file without the "express" in the name in that same directory.

Edit: Actually, that file doesn't seem to contain directories that I've added, only the default ones.

Somewhat related (MS VS .NET 2005 IDE question):

Does anyone know how I can save the complete project settings? (things that I always turn off right off the bat include "Using procompiled headers", "UNICODE", etc.) Or better than saving the settings, how could I make default settings?

Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by Shannon Barber
Does anyone know where MSVC stores it's Project Directory settings? i.e. the list of include and lib paths? Or know where it's documented? I am looking for locations for 6.0, 7.1, & 8.0.

The following is just for 8.0: What you are looking for is information on the VCProjectEngine. Specifically the VCPlatform information (link is for the Members) Now, using that information you can do a lot of scripting stuff with custom projects to get/set settings etc... For information on the Project Directory settings, you just need to open up "VCProjectEngine.dll.config" / "VCProjectEngine.Dll.Express.Config" located in the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages" folder. Those are the defaults, as KrazeIke mentioned.

It was tricky to find, but all of the IDE directories are stored in the "CurrentSettings.vssettings" file in your "C:\Documents and Settings\Drew Benton\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Settings" folder, of course after replacing the name [smile] You will want to open the file in something other than notepad/word pad, it's large and it does not wrap nicely (it overflows on non-wrap in WordPad actually) If you modify this file, VS will recompile it on the next load, so do not worry when VS tells you its doing something again, it's recalculating the binary data for the file.

If you want to actually modify the defaults for projects, you can use the below reply to discman in a similar manner, but using the scripting framework to do all of the work a lot easier for each project. Similarly for 7.1, you can do the same thing (although that just shows changing the default libs).

As for 6.0 and 7.1 haven't found that yet, but if I do I'll let you know!

@discman1028 - Yes, you need to go to the folder "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\VCWizards\AppWiz\Generic\Application\scripts\1033" and make a backup of the "default.js" file there, that is the default script that is used for Win32 projects.

Now following this for removing unicode:
* Go to line 141, you will see "config.CharacterSet = charSetUNICODE;"

* As per this MSDN page you will need to choose the replacement, probabally "charSetNotSet"

* Go to line 211 and repeat

Next, for PCH:
* Go to line 28, you will see "var Pch = wizard.FindSymbol("PRE_COMPILED_HEADER");"

* Make that "var Pch = false;//wizard.FindSymbol("PRE_COMPILED_HEADER");"

* Go to line 193, you will see "if (bEmptyProject)", comment that out

* Go to line 226 and do the same

Now Precompiled headers should be disable by default.

Now I can't guarantee this will all works flawlessly, that's why you made a back up before you began. It should work fine though and all your new projects will reflect the changed settings. If you get any errors, you might have to do some more extensive searching MSDN though, all of this I found out via trial and error [wink], so good luck!

Quote:
Original post by Shannon Barber
Does anyone know where MSVC stores it's Project Directory settings? i.e. the list of include and lib paths? Or know where it's documented? I am looking for locations for 6.0, 7.1, & 8.0.

I am looking specifically for the IDE directories, not the project specific ones (I know those are in the project files {.dsp, .vcproj}).

I've been rooting around in the registry and haven't been able to locate them.

I found these on my PC:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\7.1\VC\VC_OBJECTS_PLATFORM_INFO\Win32\Directories
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1206743847-84486149-8547516-1322\Software\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0\Build System\Components\Platforms\Win32 (x86)\Directories

The SID may be different on you PC (I don't know). To find it, I suggest you to put a fake directory name in the list and to search this directory name in regedit.

Edit: the SID IS different - it is the user SID. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\... may be easier to find :)

I don't have 8.0 installed here :(

Regards,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!