Need advices for 2D multiplayer RPG

Started by
6 comments, last by Binomine 18 years ago
Hello! Before you are gonna reply "Make a text game first bla bla bla...", read: I have done a few text games, I have done a few 2d and simple 3D single players before, I have tried to make a 2d MMORPG too..it was just that I lost all my files due to a HDD crash. Well, then to the point: I decided to code a (M)MORPG 2D game, a really simple one, again. Currently I use Linux, and many people use Windows = it should be crossplatform. Because of that I trough I would use SDL for drawing etc. Whats your suggestion? Should I use SDL or not? =/ If I should, how would it be possible to create buttons and text boxes? Any tutorials about that? Btw, I always code in c++ ;p Yours, D-Slicer
www.zezenia.com
Advertisement
I don't see why you shouldn't use SDL, so go for it. You'll have to use a GUI system on top of that (give a look to this page - it contains links to some SDL based GUI libraries)

Regards,
For the buttons and check boxes etc... You will have to create them yourself. They are not too difficult to make. A simple google search will bring up all you need and perhaps even the code as well. As long as you understand the concept of call backs and function pointers, you will be fine.

Note: - if nobody ends up posting any code to use, i'll post a full working button object and manager etc... later on.
Thanks for the replies, I will use SDL then ;p

Just need to figure out how to get the SDL libs to work under Ubuntu Linux, the package manager seems to only contain the runtime libs o.o
www.zezenia.com
SDL I agree is a good option. If you are looking for a higher level graphics engine, I would say to try out Irrlicht. I has many features and also is crossplatform. It can do 2d and 3d, so it might be worth it to learn anyway. And it has more code base, so less things you will have to code if you use SDL. But either way you go, you will need to do the networking code yourself, or another library.

Can SDL do rotation & alpha these days?
I think so. I'm certain that it can do rotation, but not so certain about alpha. I remember rotation being pretty slow when I tried it, so I ended up doing tiling with opengl.
SDL can do rotation and alpha; however, it's all software rendered. If you're going to use rotation with SDL; I suggest pre-rotating your sprites. If that is not possible, it's much better to use OpenGL, since OpenGL does hardware alpha and rotation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement