• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pteri498

CSound class files?

This topic is 4584 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm on the December 2005 DX9 SDK now. (I believe that's the latest) I'm getting into sounds, I've finished up a little testing with DirectMusic and am trying to get into DirectSound. I've heard about the CSound class and have decided to use it because there's not a lot of useful documentation that I've found that will let me use just the DirectSound objects on their own. (And if anyone knows of tutorials or documentations that teach beyond Initialization and Destruction of said objects, PLEASE let me know) so I've found a file in (DirectX SDK)\Samples\C++\DXUT\Optional called sound.h and sound.cpp that look like they do what CSound is supposed to do. Though since they're in the Samples directory, there doesn't seem to be a preset way to include these in any project without copying them over. Trying to do so shows me that I need another file, dxut.h, which doesn't happen to exist on that directory. That all tells me that I'm probably going down a path I don't want to go down. So then, does anyone know an easy way to get to CSound and CSoundManager?

Advertisement
This page always has the latest SDK, and as of current you are one release behind. I would expect a new release to be out in the next couple of weeks (the April '06 release).

I forget the details, but the Feb '06 SDK did include some DX9 updates (the D3DX DLL moved up a notch again). The updates are starting to slow down now as they're ramping up the D3D10/Vista side of things.

Anyway...

DXUT is primarily for the SDK samples, but there is no reason (technical or licencing) that you can't use it in production code. But from what I've seen it is an all-or-nothing type approach. You might be able to trim out a few of the headers, but it'll probably be easiest to rely on the compiler dead-coding anything you don't actually need/use.

To use DXUT you want a copy of the "common" folder as part of your project (most SDK samples do this) and then add it to your VStudio project - I've also had to add "common" to the additional include directories to make sure the compiler finds them.

Examples of using DXUT and/or the Audio side of things might be a bit more tricky. There is some documentation on the core framework in the help files, but there are a lot of parts that aren't really documented - or the documentation exists in the source code. The DXUT-GUI components are "good" examples of this..

As for examples of DirectSound in general, are the samples (%SDK_DIR%\samples\C++\DirectSound\) no good? I've not really pushed DSound much recently, but I never had much of a problem with learning it through those samples and the SDK documentation...

hth
Jack

I've looked a little at that directory, and as for the PlaySound example, it bugs me because it won't compile fully (can't find "afxres.h"), and on top of that it's not a simple application. What I have is a wave file sitting in the same directory as my project, and there's no wave file to be seen in this project. What's possible is that it's in that resource file, (I haven't yet pulled apart the project to verify this) but I don't have a resource file, nor am I yet interested in using them.

Oh I just ran the executable in the Bin. Looks like this might be useful. It's just that error that I don't know how to fix... Any ideas for finding afxres.h?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!