Nintendo Question...

Started by
1 comment, last by RegularKid 23 years, 2 months ago
The other day my friend asked me a question about nintendo and I didn''t know the answer so I came here to ask everyone. He was curious about how the gun used for Duck Hunt on the old nintendo worked. I though about it and I couldn''t figure it out. I assumed it had something to do with the angle of the gun and the distance from the tv, but i dont know. Someone please answer this question for me. THanks
Advertisement
I figured it out when I was young, by closely looking at the screen when you fire up with the gun; the trick is that whenever you press the button, the screen goes totally black except for a small white square around the duck. Then the gun uses a light detector to check if what''s in front of him is white or not. If it''s white, then the duck has been hit, otherwise it missed. And all of this is done in 1/60th of a second, so you can barely see it.

I am pretty sure that''s the way it works, you could check that by setting the contrast and brightness level of your TV to the maximum level, then fire randomly on the screen. As far as I remember, it works great
---All you base are belong to us !
I am not sure about the specific "Duck Hunt" light gun, but AFAIK they all work basically the same.

Its based on the _timing_ of the TV electron beam. The computer notes what scan line (and position on the line) is being painted when the light sensor in the gun gets brighter.

Here is a nice explanation:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/question273.htm

Enjoy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement