Test my Simple DX7 2D game?

Started by
7 comments, last by Viri- 23 years, 2 months ago
If anyone has any time and wouldn''t mind checking out a simple, no real point game on your system I''d be very greatful. If you have any problems please send me back the name of the problem, and the system your running on so I can see what I''m doing wrong.. or if you know what I''m doing wrong just let my know. Thanks again, Viri- URL to game: http://revolution.valveworld.com/firstgame.zip
------------thanks,Phoenix
Advertisement
Your name is Viri-, and you want us to test your program?...

No thank you.
I can verify that it isn''t a virus to my knowledge. It''s kinda a space shooter like space invaders.
"Don't make me come down there..." -GOD
Ok if I ever really knew what Virii was when I picked this name I NEVER would have picked it. Everywhere else I am known as Phoenix. I changed after getting the ammount of feedback from it. After learning what it was I realized why people acted so scared. But at the same time know one realized my name was NOT Virii it was Viri One I make a LOT of difference. The name Viri (Vi Re as in Reed) is a name of an old Indian legend of a kid who excelled in his life by learning how things worked with in the world. He never copied but just learned how and why. I liked the story (forget the name right now..) but I can only assure you I have NOTHING to do with Viruses or anything of that sort. If I could write something like that would I be trying to create a game AND would I be as stupid to risk any reputation I have on this board? No I wouldn''t. anyone who believes in the destruction of computers can go to hell. But thanks for helping me see how most people don''t notice the little things. That is why I changed my name. I thought a plain old - would help. I was wrong. I''ll create a new account as soon as I get around to it. And thanks anyway for reading my message and even possibly considering it....

The other person.. did you have ANY problems or ANYTHING go wrong with it at all in the slightest bit or way? What about the errorlog.log file it produces? did you get anything in there?

Thanks for your time,
Phoenix
Actually I think it''s great for your first game I would have been very prooud if I had done something that good my first time.

Retired Pokemon Master of Prgramming Problems

I already had them all.
This Space for rent.
Heh, like a fool, I downloaded it and played it without a second thought. I should be more careful.

I have a word or two about gameplay, if you can take criticism. I know it''s a first game and all, so it was just trying to get it to work, which is cool that is does. However:

1) I just created a curtain of bullets and the enemies just ran into them. Even with a limit of 20 bullets on the screen, I can still just spray them, not really aiming. Makes the game too easy.

2) Collision detection doesn''t work all the time...bullets pass right through the bad guys sometimes.

Wil
THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was lookig for! I compeltely forgot about the bullet shooting. I know I need to add a timer onto the ammount of shooting. And I need to correct the blting size of the bullet. I shunk the bullet and forgot to shrink the destRect.

The collision detection thing is something I forgot about. I ment to ask if anyone knew why that was happening? I''m posting my code in this post and also starting a new post. If anyone has any idea on how I can improve my collision detection or basicly and info on how to do a more advanced one please point me in the right direction.

Critiz. makes the world go round

Thanks,
Phoenix
THANK YOU! That was exactly what I was lookig for! I compeltely forgot about the bullet shooting. I know I need to add a timer onto the ammount of shooting. And I need to correct the blting size of the bullet. I shunk the bullet and forgot to shrink the destRect.

The collision detection thing is something I forgot about. I ment to ask if anyone knew why that was happening? I''m posting my code in this post and also starting a new post. If anyone has any idea on how I can improve my collision detection or basicly and info on how to do a more advanced one please point me in the right direction.

Critiz. makes the world go round

Thanks,
Phoenix

// collision detection code:
///////////////////////////////
// RECT collision detection....
///////////////////////////////
int Collision_Test(int x1, int y1, int w1, int h1,
int x2, int y2, int w2, int h2)
{
// this function tests if the two rects overlap

// get the radi of each rect
int width1 = (w1>>1) - (w1>>3);
int height1 = (h1>>1) - (h1>>3);

int width2 = (w2>>1) - (w2>>3);
int height2 = (h2>>1) - (h2>>3);

// compute center of each rect
int cx1 = x1 + width1;
int cy1 = y1 + height1;

int cx2 = x2 + width2;
int cy2 = y2 + height2;

// compute deltas
int dx = abs(cx2 - cx1);
int dy = abs(cy2 - cy1);

// test if rects overlap
if (dx < (width1+width2) && dy < (height1+height2))
return(1);
else
// else no collision
return(0);

} // end Collision_Test

I''ve also heard about pixel comparison detection? How is tht done, and done quickly?
quote:Original post by iamwil

Heh, like a fool, I downloaded it and played it without a second thought. I should be more careful.

I have a word or two about gameplay, if you can take criticism. I know it''s a first game and all, so it was just trying to get it to work, which is cool that is does. However:

1) I just created a curtain of bullets and the enemies just ran into them. Even with a limit of 20 bullets on the screen, I can still just spray them, not really aiming. Makes the game too easy.

2) Collision detection doesn''t work all the time...bullets pass right through the bad guys sometimes.

Wil

Add to this list:

3) When the enemy are next to the edge (right or left), your ship can''t get close enough to shoot them. The drop just between the edge and your missile.

Regards,
Jumpster

P.S. - I too gave no second thought about trying it out. Then I seen the name... Boy was I ticked at myself for that.

Regards,JumpsterSemper Fi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement