• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Digital Scribe

Multiple DirectX SDK Versions

This topic is 4467 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can having more than one version of the DirectX SDK installed on my computer cause problems? Should uninstall one or more of them? I have: DirectX 9.0 SDK DirectX 9.0 SDK Update (August 2005) DirectX 9.0 SDK (December 2005) Sorry if this is elementary. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Officially, it's not recommended. However, I have done it before and haven't had problems. Just make sure that your compiler settings line up, and you should be ok. Specifically, all of the directories should be in the same order in the options. Otherwise, you could be including August headers, but linking to December libraries, ect.

Other than that, you may have some problems using the debug runtimes. Apparently, it only works with the latest SDK you have installed or something like that.

I overwriten the previous folders with the newer dx sdk's. I never had problems with this but does anybody recommend doing this ?

On my system I have DirectX 8.1 SDK and DirectX 9 Dec '05 SDK's (Feb '06 on Vista). Different major versions are usually okay for SxS, but different minor revisions are a good way to confuse things.

Quote:
Original post by twan
I overwriten the previous folders with the newer dx sdk's.
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It's possible, but unlikely, that each subsequent SDK completely replaces every file from the previous (existing) install. You'd therefore end up with a "version soup" containing files from various different SDK builds. From experience these are some of the hardest bugs to track down - they tend to rear their heads in the most unexpected ways [headshake]

Is there any particular reason why you want multiple versions of the DX9 SDK?

hth
Jack

I had problems where I couldn't uninstall a previous SDK. Kept getting errors about some files not being found. Had to remove the folder manually and I still got the SDK in my installed software list.
One day, my HD gave up on me and I had a new one. Never thought of it again, until now.

More than one version is definitely not recommended. I've run into problems with that before, when I was doing a lot of installs. Avoid the soup.

You will get into problems if your compiler access paths reference both versions of the SDK.

However, if you understand how your tool chain works, including resolving include files, library references, etc, then you can safely have multiple versions installed, and set up different projects to reference different versions.

In general, the upgrade to a new version is simple, though, so I'd recommend un-installing the old version before installing the new version.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!