how to make a character pointer point to a string?

Started by
5 comments, last by Promit 18 years ago
hi, i need to pass a string to a function that only accepts char pointer. would something like this work? string s("hello, i eat bbq"); char *myCharPtr; s.copy(myCharPtr, s.size()); sendData(myCharPtr);
Advertisement
Use std::string::c_str() to convert a string to a c-style string. Like -

std::string foo = "hiya";char* cstring = foo.c_str();

Or you can just pass it directly to the function.

myFunc( str.c_str() );
Yup, the c_str() member function is what you're looking for. Be careful about keeping this pointer around though. I don't know what will happen if you try to modify the string after called c_str() then read from the c string. Or if it copies to a seperate buffer, what happens if you call c_str(), then modify, and call c_str() again.
this is the error i got when using c_str

sendData' : cannot convert parameter 1 from 'const char *' to 'class SomeData *'
Types pointed to are unrelated; conversion requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
What's the prototype of the sendData function?

jfl.
Quote:I don't know what will happen if you try to modify the string after called c_str() then read from the c string. Or if it copies to a seperate buffer, what happens if you call c_str(), then modify, and call c_str() again.

The char* returned from c_str() (or data for that matter) will reflect changes made to the string. That data is owned and maintained by the string though, so don't attempt to modify/free the data witht he pointer returned (will result in undefined behavior). But you can read from it fine, and expect it to stay "correct".
Quote:Original post by Mushu
The char* returned from c_str() (or data for that matter) will reflect changes made to the string. That data is owned and maintained by the string though, so don't attempt to modify/free the data witht he pointer returned (will result in undefined behavior). But you can read from it fine, and expect it to stay "correct".
Since it's a const pointer, you can't modify the data without using a cast to begin with, which should be a tip off that something is not right.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement