• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
geekalert

Retroconned!

This topic is 4582 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to mod Notepad - ie, write some kind of plugin for it, like an (just for the sake of example) AutoCorrect plugin? With C++/Assembly? What I'm thinking is either be able to inject code into Notepad.exe, or maybe replace the Microsoft-implementation of Notepad.exe? I'm trying to avoid the latter because that would involve reinventing a lot of code.

Advertisement
Hot patching would be a real pain. If it were me, I'd write an application which looks like Notepad.exe with C++/MFC and overwrite the notepad.exe (in windows/system32/) with it. That should make it look like you're running notepad, but secretly aren't.

Do you know any good sites about Hot-Patching?

And also, is that the same way that WindowBlinds patches the ControlPanel->Display dialog? (It adds a button that says [WindowBlinds...])

Quote:
Original post by LorenTapia
You may want to look into Crimson Editor <http://www.crimsoneditor.com/>. I think it can do everything you would want.

What if I told you I was modding Notepad for more... sinister reasons? Does Crimson Editor include such features as: AutoHack, SuperTrojan, and XKeyLogger? Actually I was just kidding, just trying to get a point across. I want to actually learn how to do this kind of modding/patching, instead of always relying on thrid-party solutions. Talk about wasting time, but you know...

edit - In actuality, I am, in fact, making a compact HTML editor. I've seen CrimsonEditor, I have FrontPage, but I thought it would be not only educational but somewhat cool to make an HTML syntax highlighting and AutoComplete built into Notepad (it's not an original idea, but once again - "in the name of education").

Quote:
Original post by geekalert
Do you know any good sites about Hot-Patching?

And also, is that the same way that WindowBlinds patches the ControlPanel->Display dialog? (It adds a button that says [WindowBlinds...])

Thats not hotpatching, its just registering a Shell Extension.

Quote:
You may want to look into Crimson Editor <http://www.crimsoneditor.com/>. I think it can do everything you would want.

Crimson Editor rocks, but lately I've been using Notepad++ for most quick editing tasks. (Looking at their home page, I can't find the Notepad++ underwear shop anymore. Damn that's said.)

You may also take a look at Scintilla, a quality syntax-highlighting editor component you could use as a base.

Shell extensions? But those would not be able to modify Notepad would they? Since when was Notepad a part of the shell?

Quote:
Shell extensions? But those would not be able to modify Notepad would they?

No they wouldn't, they can however add another tab to the display control panel (if people in this thread are correct anyway).

Why don't you just clone notepad and then add what you want? It can't take more than hour to replicate the functionality of notepad with winforms (if you want an absolutely identical clone you'll probably have to spend a while tweaking it though).

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by LorenTapia

What if I told you I was modding Notepad for more... sinister reasons? Does Crimson Editor include such features as: AutoHack, SuperTrojan, and XKeyLogger? Actually I was just kidding, just trying to get a point across. I want to actually learn how to do this kind of modding/patching, instead of always relying on thrid-party solutions. Talk about wasting time, but you know...

Well, I'd tell you that Satan is going to kill you, ar ar ar ! No, I'm just kidding.

Quote:
edit - In actuality, I am, in fact, making a compact HTML editor. I've seen CrimsonEditor, I have FrontPage, but I thought it would be not only educational but somewhat cool to make an HTML syntax highlighting and AutoComplete built into Notepad (it's not an original idea, but once again - "in the name of education").

If you really want to do what you want to do, I suggest you to create your own editor. There is two reason for this:

1) You can create a MDI editor that use a RichEdit text control in 0 lines of code usinf the MFC. Actually, you just have to launch the MFC application wizard.

2) Moding Notepad will not be possible. Or, if it is possible, the amount of work that is needed to mod notepad is far more bigger than the amount of work that is needed to redo it.

Regards,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!