XP Problems

Started by
3 comments, last by Boruki 18 years ago
I've just moved from 2000 to XP. I unfortunately don't have time to change to a new compiler and am still running MSVC++ 5 (har har). Changing to XP has caused errors to appear and I'm wondering if anyone knows how to fix them properly. The first error is: error C2955: 'vector' : use of class template requires template argument list Cause by: using std::vector; The second error is: error C2039: 'openmode' : is not a member of 'ios' Which is in "fstream". Any help is much appreciated..
Advertisement
It looks like you are trying to mix Microsoft's pre-standard C++ with the current Standard C++.

If you are very lucky, it might just be a matter of changing the names of header files, using namespaces, and changing the names of a few constants and fuctions to match their counterpart.

If you are very unlucky, you might have to redo everything that has to do with templates.

Really the only way to fix the problem is to go through the entire program and study what needs to change, then find the best way to change it. There are lots of articles that can help. It can be a lot of work, and it was a major growing pain felt everywhere between late 1999 and early 2003. Good luck with it.
The problem is that it's all in code that I didn't write.. stuff "borrowed" from tutorials to see how it would work when put inside my playabout project. Would my best bet be to just remove their code then? I don't know if I even use it at the moment.
Probably the best thing would be to go download and install a current compiler (Zero-cost Visual C++ 2005) and use it.

Trying to learn about programming with pre-standard C++ would be like trying to become a certified auto mechanic by studying the Model T Ford.

[edit - spelling]
Quote:Original post by frob
Probably the best thing would be to go download and install a current compiler (Zero-cost Visual C++ 2005) and use it.

Trying to learn about programming with pre-standard C++ would be like trying to become a certified auto mechanic by styding the Model T.

I have used the new compiler and unfortunately it gives me 1500+ errors due to changes. I've been using MSVC++ 5 for 7+ years and changes made even in 6 (and upwards) which just make it difficult for me to work with them.

However adding a single _ and removing a 3DS I don't even use fixed the problems. Now I just need to find why my cg.lib is corrupt/non accessible.

Thanks for the swift help frob.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement