2d Animation Software Question

Started by
7 comments, last by Derakon 18 years ago
I am making a 2d game like Megaman x or contra, but the 2d character is fairly large. I was wondering if there is a 2d program that used joints like 3D software (Maya, Milkshape 3d, AC3D, 3D Max, Bryce etc) but was for 2D? I want to know what is the best software as well for 2d animation, if so the best one that uses joints if their is such a thing? Thanks immensely ~~Mad_Koder
Dont need one.... i'm so cool, dont ask me just do what you do..... meet me in the trap its going down....
Advertisement
Hmm.. I'm not sure, but I don't think so. You could always model/texture in 3d, use skeletal animation to get the moves right and render to 2d from any angle you want. That might not give you the visual style you're looking for though.

Or how about this? Animate some stick figures and render them so you can easily draw over them with a normal 2d program. This saves you the step of finding a specialized 2d program, and gives you handy guides for drawing your 2d characters.
You can do that sort of paper cutout stuff in After Effects or a similar compositing program. However, I would recommend a 3D program, as you'll get the benefit of things like IK, bones, better organization, and all that good stuff.
Any stop-motion technique is going to give you a stop-motion looking animation, and without deforming limbs (that only rotate at the joints in an ortagonal manner), you're not going to get the fluidity of motion and anatomy you are aiming for. I'd suggest making a 3D character and rendering to sprites, or doing it by hand.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Thanks, I have some questions, what if i want it to make it look like a 2d game though, if i make it from a 3d model and copy it to a paint program ans save it as a .bmp, it will still look 3d, how did they make it not look deformed for runnin on fairly large character like street fighter on the Sega Genesis and Super nintendo. How to you make it 2d jut do what i said print screen paste it on paint and save the model part of the screen as .bmp?
Dont need one.... i'm so cool, dont ask me just do what you do..... meet me in the trap its going down....
There has to be a better way than that. And what do you mean by "look 3d"? If viewed from the side, does the model "look 3d"? I really think you'll have the best luck doing most, if not all, of this work in the 3d program. Pixel art is tricky, combined with animation for several attacks, for several characters, that's a lot of work. Make your models, skins and animations and render frames from a side view. I'm not 100% sure how to do this (I have only a little experience with 3d modeling programs), but I'm certain it can be done.

If you MUST use 2d drawing, you can use the same method, only don't skin the models. Just render them and use them as guides. Might not be the best method though, check out some of the pixel art sites, they go over techniques for stuff like this.

And don't tell me you're trying to do all your artwork in Microsoft Paint.. You _must_ be a masochist.
You would just render from an orthagonal view. I'm not going to get into how to do that, go to www.3dtotal.com and look at the expansive 3ds max tutorials.
-------------www.robg3d.com
Just vector and/or toon render it from a side view. Then it doesn't look 3D and you have still benefited from the modern 3D technologies.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
MOHO is what you originally asked.
http://www.lostmarble.com/
Many rendering programs support "toon rendering", which does flat shading instead of the gradients that normal 3D rendering gives. This would help you get that 2D look you're going for.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement