• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LostSource

Help with a physics problem.

This topic is 4587 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This problem is from a physics book that I'm reading to teach myself physics. "An Idaho potato is launched from a spud gun at an angle of 30 degrees with a muzzle velocity of 5.0 x 10 m/s. What is the time of flight (T), maximum height (Y), and the range (X) of the potato." I figured out the time of the flight: T = 2t (where T is the total time, and t is the time required to reach the maximum height) T = 2(Vov/g) g = gravity in MKS, so its 9.80 m/s^2 T = 2(50/9.80) = 10.2 s t = T/2 = 5.1 s I'm problem is calculating the Vov and Voh. Vov is the vertical component of the initial velocity Voh is the horizontal component of the initial velocity I need to figure out these to values of the initial velocity to solve for the maximum height (Y) and range (X). I know that Y = (Vov * t) - (1/2)*gt^2, which I know I can simplify to: Y = Vov^2 / 2g I also know that X = 2 * Voh * t which simplifies to : X = (2 * Voh * Vov) / g Thank you ahead of time for reading and repling. = ] I'm not really looking for a striaght answer, but more the idea of how to solve and get the values for Vov and Voh. = ]

Advertisement
The original problem gives you two pieces of information - a direction (angle of launch) and a magnitude (muzzle velocity). In 2D, a direction and a magnitude is enough to specify a vector, which has two components. Those are the components you're looking for. Use what you know about vectors.

Folks,

I'll allow this thread to remain open, despite the fact that it looks pretty much like schoolwork. This is primarily because the poster has been around a while and has contributed in obviously game-development-related ways. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

That said, do not post the answer! If someone posts the answer and I see it, I will close the thread.

Forum FAQ

in other words, the velocity vector can be seen as a side of a triangle. the triangle will also tell you horizontal and vertical velocities. use what you know about triangles.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!