• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BeanDog

Inheriting from std::string::iterator (source included)

This topic is 4583 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, I was a little frustrated with not having a case-insensitive find() in std::string, and I didn't want to go so far as to construct a regular expression to find a case-insensitive substring. I wanted to use the existing standard library functions to do the job, so I figured the best way was to inherit from a standard iterator. I've never done any STL-compatible coding before, so I'd like some feedback on my ucase_iterator:
class ucase_iterator : public string::iterator
{
public:
	ucase_iterator(pointer ptr) : string::iterator(ptr)
	{
	}

char operator*() const
	{
		return (make_ucase(**(const_iterator *)this));
	}

char m_cTemp;

const char* operator->() const
	{
		(char)m_cTemp = **(ucase_iterator*)this;
		return (&m_cTemp);
	}

static char make_ucase(char c)
	{
		if(c >= 'a' && c <= 'z')
			return(c + ('A'-'a'));
		else
			return(c);
	}
};
Not much to it. I pass the constructor argument on to the string::iterator constructor, and I replace the * and -> operators. The * operator was easy, since it returns a value type (should be a const reference, but with a char it makes no practical difference). I just took the result of the superclass's operator*, passed it to my make_ucase function, and returned the uppercase char. The -> operator was a little more trouble. It demands a pointer to be returned. I don't want to make the original string uppercase (that was the whole point of making this iterator), so I created a char member that I fill in with the uppercase letter, then return a pointer to that. The problem is that the -> operator is const, so I have to do some seriously hacky casting to let me get the job done. To do a case-insensitive search, I do something like this:
string strSource = "This is a sentence with no caps";
string strFind = "SeNTenCe";

ucase_iterator iBeginFind(strFind._Myptr());
ucase_iterator iEndFind(strFind._Myptr());
iEndFind += strFind.length();

ucase_iterator iBeginSource(strSource._Myptr());
ucase_iterator iEndSource(strSource._Myptr());
iEndSource += strSource.length();

ucase_iterator iResult = search<ucase_iterator,ucase_iterator>(
	iBeginSource, iEndSource, 
	iBeginFind, iEndFind);

if(iResult == iEndSource)
	cout << "No match.\n";
else
	cout << int(iResult-iBeginSource) << '\n';
Anyway, it seems to work okay. It definitely feels clumsy, though, and I'd like some feedback if I'm doing something incredibly dumb here.

Advertisement
The pointer returned by operator -> doesn't have to be an array, it can just be in essence "&**this". You could store a single char inside the iterator, and return the address from operator ->.

A much better solution to your problem is to use the fifth argument of std::search, which is a predicate function. Something like this should work:

bool compare_case_insensite(char, char) {
// fill this in
}

std::string::iterator result = std::search(
source.begin(), source.end(),
find.begin(), find.end(),
compare_case_insensitive);

Returning a reference or pointer to a local variable is undefined behaviour. Also your "hacky casting" is unnecessary. operator* is a const member and can thus be safely called without a cast (and const_cast would have been the better cast to use had it been necessary). A better way to implement this is to simply pass a case insensitive character comparison function to one of the standard library algorithms, i.e.:
struct case_insensitive_compare
:
public std::binary_function< char, char, bool >
{

bool operator()(char lhs, char rhs)
{
return std::toupper(lhs) == std::toupper(rhs);
}

};

int main()
{
std::string main_string("This is the string I want to search");
std::string search_string("ring I want");
std::string::iterator location = std::search(main_string.begin(), main_string.end(), search_string.begin(), search_string.end(), case_insensitive_compare());
if (location == main_string.end())
{
std::cout << "search string was not found\n";
}
else
{
std::cout << "search string was found at offset " << std::distance(main_string.begin(), location) << '\n';
}
}

(code untested)

Σnigma

Heh heh. I should've seen that fifth parameter to search. Anyway, it's been a somewhat educational experience.

I also recommend using std::search. Whichever method you choose though, I'd use std::toupper instead of your make_ucase function. The main advantage of this is that it works in other locales and character sets (not as if you plan to EBCDIC, but it's a bonus) and with characters such as è, é, á, ü, ÿ, etc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!