• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Huberg

about my tree

This topic is 4558 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i want to ask a single question. Will it be too high poly for a tree with 6396 polygon? See the images below. It is the tree model i made using 3ds max. I planned to include the tree into my game project.

Advertisement
It depends how much else will be in the scene. Although 6000 polys for a tree does seem a bit high when a lot of games use that amount for humans etc.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hmm not sure yet...
if the map is a forest... should be many

above is the test forest rendered in 3ds max:

hmm not sure yet...
if the map is a forest... should be many
anyone here knows normally a tree model has how many polygon?

And... below is the test terrain rendered in 3ds max:

Simply, yes, its too many. You want to aim for nosmore than 1000 polies/tree (for comparison, a character is usually between 3000-4000). The best trees I've seen so far have been in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Each cluster of leaves is its own billboard, and it looks fantastic. Look at how they do it.
If you still want to use that model, get rid of all of your smaller branches, and reduce the amount of sides on your canopies and the tree itself. A wireframe shot would help, but you can cut your polies in half by using half the amount of sides.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion << the tree models are really cool
how they make those fantastic models?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!