Sign in to follow this  
boldyman

max. frames per second

I have a question about frames per second (fps). The refresh rate of my monitor is 75 Hz, then maximum frame per sec should be max 75. (In a test app with 1 triangle the max fps i get is 75). How is it possible that i see in some games or demos a higher fps then 75 ?? Can someone explian ?? thanks

There is a technique called vertical sync (or v-sync) which guarantees that each frame of rendered graphics is only shown when the monitor is ready for it. V-sync essentially forces the engine to draw at the refresh rate of the monitor (unless it can't keep up with the monitor, in which case framerate will be lower than the refresh rate).

In game engines that do not use v-sync (it can be disabled in your graphics drivers and by specifically asking to bypass it via DirectX or OpenGL), the framerate will simply be as fast as the game can render.

That's only really going to be useful if you're using your game as a benchmark or if you're curious how much room you have to add load, though. There's no point in calculating frames that never get displayed.