How To Start Making Renderer/Scene Graph

Started by
1 comment, last by NLDEV 18 years ago
I want to start working on my own renderer and scene graph in a similar fashion to Open Scene Graph and OGRE (though by no means as powerful right off the bat), but I can't find good resources to learn from. Can anyone suggest any sites or books that would help me start writing this monster chunk of code? If it matters, I'm writing it in C++ with OpenGL and SDL.
Advertisement
Search amazon or your fav book store for "3D Engine Design" should get 2-3 hits of more recent and decent books.

There is also a series on GameDev (forget the name now) on game engine design. It even uses SDL and C++.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Quote:Original post by Mike2343
There is also a series on GameDev (forget the name now) on game engine design. It even uses SDL and C++.

I believe you're referring to the Enginuity series; however, it never touched the concepts of a scene graph (it focused more on engine infrastructure/overall design).

Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn

I'm fond of Eberly's books, personally. Since you seem to be interested in architecture I'd reccomend his 3D Game Engine Architecture title. It is a very interested read detailing his design decisions for his Wild Magic engine. It covers Wild Magic's scene graph/renderer interaction in great depth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement