Ok to use a mix of floats and doubles?

Started by
12 comments, last by nife 18 years ago
I'm building a simulator which needs precision from 1000km down to 1cm, which unfortunately seems to be just outside the size of your standard float. I can't be bothered using sectors, and I'm willing to live with the memory loss from switching to doubles. I have two questions though; 1) How much speed is really lost from using doubles instead of floats? 2) There is a lot of data which doesn't need to be stored in doubles. If I pass floats into functions which take doubles, is there a performance hit from conversion?
David
Advertisement
Well answer to this is I guess architecture dependent because some machines perform floating calculation better than double and some allow double calculations better than floats.
Nowadays,most of the machines perform calculations faster with double types.
Quote:Original post by downward_spiral
1) How much speed is really lost from using doubles instead of floats?

I'm not sure about this, but I believe the FPU uses doubles for everything. However since the data bus on most systems is 32-bit it might take longer to suffle around a large number of doubles instead of floats.

2) There is a lot of data which doesn't need to be stored in doubles. If I pass floats into functions which take doubles, is there a performance hit from conversion?

Possibly. However as with point 1, things like this only affect performance if you're really crunching the numbers. For most things the difference between a few CPU cycles won't make any difference on a system that isn't a dinosaur.

Quote:Original post by TEUTON
Well answer to this is I guess architecture dependent because some machines perform floating calculation better than double and some allow double calculations better than floats.

Architecture as in processor, OS, or compiler dependent? I'm writing for Win32 X86 32bit, GCC, and probably won't ever need to port it as it's for a specific purpose.

Quote:Original post by TEUTONNowadays,most of the machines perform calculations faster with double types.

Reassuring, thanks. Maybe I'm just being too retro and should just fire in with whatever works?
David
Remember DOPE: (D)on't (O)ptimize (P)rematurely, (E)ver! Get it correct before you get it fast, because most of the time it's fast enough, and the times when it isn't, it's still better to be right than to be fast.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by kSquared
Remember DOPE: (D)on't (O)ptimize (P)rematurely, (E)ver! Get it correct before you get it fast, because most of the time it's fast enough, and the times when it isn't, it's still better to be right than to be fast.

I disagree in the original posters context.

In games it is typical that numeric computations fall under 90% of the cpu's budget for scene graph traversal, physic simulations, collision, and path finding. While the other 10% is spread across thin to core game logic. In simulations the allocation for numeric computation may be even higher.

It is imperitive that you spend a good amount of time optimizing and designing for speed early. Other-wise, if you don't pick the correct data structures and formats it will be difficult in the end to refactor core data structures for optimization.

My suggestion would be to use a typedef (usually the name 'real' is chosen) for a double and use that everywhere. If you later find that the performance is a problem you can switch the typedef and code in some kind of sectors/space partitioning, or just replace the critical sections.
I'm building a simulator which needs precision from 1000km down to 1cm, which unfortunately seems to be just outside the size of your standard float.
I can't be bothered using sectors, and I'm willing to live with the memory loss from switching to doubles. I have two questions though;
1) How much speed is really lost from using doubles instead of floats?
2) There is a lot of data which doesn't need to be stored in doubles. If I pass floats into functions which take doubles, is there a performance hit from conversion?

Look at CPU benchmarks. (Benchmax would show you a SSE2 instruction speed)
It's actually compiler/CPU dependant. Often the only difference is a memory usage.

If in doubt remmember, Doubles means round circles.

for your second question, the easy half day answer is test it. I remmember Charles Bloom saying why that compiler is additing an unnecessary load / store, when that value should stay in the registry.
Quote:Original post by ph33r
Quote:Original post by kSquared

I disagree in the original posters context.

In games it is typical that numeric computations fall under 90% of the cpu's budget for scene graph traversal, physic simulations, collision, and path finding. While the other 10% is spread across thin to core game logic. In simulations the allocation for numeric computation may be even higher.

It is imperitive that you spend a good amount of time optimizing and designing for speed early. Other-wise, if you don't pick the correct data structures and formats it will be difficult in the end to refactor core data structures for optimization.

Of course it's a good idea to take performance into account in your design. But what you described isn't premature optimization. Premature optimization is when you design for speed without having any idea of how fast it will be, how fast it needs to be, or how fast it should be.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Quote:Original post by ph33rOther-wise, if you don't pick the correct data structures and formats it will be difficult in the end to refactor core data structures for optimization.

This would not be a problem if designed properly (use interfaces, typedefs, etc).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement