Sign in to follow this  
knicks30

Hi im new here...

Im going to start Game and Simulation Programming at DeVry in July. I have a passion for video games and it's something i want to major in. Anyone here have any say about how it was like going to school going for Game and Simulation Programming? Thanks.

I take there is alot of independent programmers here. Anyone went to school or is GOING to school for game and simulation programming?

From what I understand, Game Design isn't a very popular major among universities. I'm going to the University of Iowa for computer science and plan on using that to get into the industry, but I did take a class in Game Programming through a local college. It was a good experience, and you learn a lot more than from your basic compsci class, but unless the entire class works together on a single project it won't be an accurate learning experience.

My two cents.

DeVry is not a college or university really. Its a technology institute.

Thought maybe someone here went to DeVry or is going to DeVry to study this major.

I would suggest getting a comp sci degree since its more broad and can get you a job in other fields of computers rather than just games.

I don't even have a college degree, but I do have a friend who is taking the game design track at DeVry. I've talked with him quite a bit about the material covered; it's a decent introduction to the challenges of game design, and you'll get a good taste for some of what is involved, but there's really no substitute for actual in-the-trenches practice working on games of your own.

Overall it should be pretty interesting and you'll definitely learn some useful stuff. I'd recommend dabbling in some side projects of your own when you can, though, for three reasons. First, the practice is very useful. Second, if you have questions, you'll be in a good environment to ask your profs and other students. Finally, having a good portfolio of your own projects will be extremely important if you're interested in getting a job in the games industry.

Best of luck on your courses [smile]