Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ghost within

Learning windows programming, good? n' vc++

i have a basic knowledge of c++ and programming it but only using dos type stuff, now i want to program an isometric(or 2d overhead) game so i went out to buy this $50 book that comes with dx7 and teaches you how to use it (called learing directx or something like that). But i also found a book thats called "windows 98 programming from the ground up", its a big read and looks like a lot to remember so what i want to know is: is what this book teaches me necessary for what i want to do? would it be extremely helpful? what do you reccomend i learn? also: i use dev-c++ and heard it has some issues with DX so i was going to get Visual c++, how much does it cost? (software only) and if it is free, where can i get it?

I think I have both the books you described. The one about Direct X is more geared toward 3D and such. The windows programming teaches some neat stuff - but way too much if you just want to make a simple game. I suggest ''windows game programming for dummies''. You learn enough about windows and DirectX to get you started.

MS Visual C++ is pretty cheap for the student or ''evaluation'' version <$100.

Never cross the thin line between bravery and stupidity.