2d textured quads leaving trails

Started by
6 comments, last by instinKt 18 years ago
in my program i have a vb full of textured polygons that represent my map and i have another vb used for characters that holds a textured quad. when everything is still all is well, but when you move the screen around, everything leaves a little ghost on the tile behind it. for example: with all objects moving to the right, a red square leaves a dark red "ghost"(a couple pixels wide) behind it on the green square to its left until you stop moving, then it goes away. i have messed around alot with the presentation paramters, and no matter which i choose i get the same result. very stumped and can't even seem to find any other messages on the forum with the same problem so i thought i'd ask myself thanks for the help, let me know if you need more info daglamier
Advertisement
Do you clear the backbuffer before rendering every frame?
Haven't you forgot the D3DCLEAR_TARGET Flag?

a sreenshot could help...

[Edited by - Kambiz on April 1, 2006 4:46:59 PM]
I am clearing the back buffer every frame, and when I try to take a screen shot, the problem doesn't show up.

Daglamier
What is the D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS::PresentationInterval you are using? Do you have the same problem when using D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE?
How many backbuffers do you have?
currently using 2 backbuffers with:
d3dpp.BackBufferCount = 2;
d3dpp.Windowed = TRUE;
d3dpp.SwapEffect = D3DSWAPEFFECT_FLIP;
d3dpp.PresentationInterval = D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_ONE;

have also tried D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE and get the same problem.

daglamier
hmm, this does sound like a tearing issue to me... especially if it doesn't show up when you do a screenshot.

What have you got your drivers set up for? Make sure that VSYNC is set to "application preference" or "always on" - drivers are notorious for ignoring the values that us programmers request when creating devices.

Also, some drivers (and I think also in some SLI configs) you can set up extended render-ahead buffers that introduce latency into the final image. That combined with high frame rates and/or refresh rates can introduce odd ghosting/tearing/blurring effects..

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Just tried my code on a second computer and it doesn't seem to have the problem at all. So it appears to be hardware based(probably vid drivers). Though I have heard some problems with lcd monitors, maybe there is something there i should fix...

The comp it works on has a crt and the one it doesn't has an lcd. Will drivers likely fix it or will there be something with the lcd monitor?

daglamier
To me it sounds like a trait common to LCD monitors. They're generally slower than CRT and do leave 'trails'. It's been the reason why I haven't purchased an LCD monitor previously for games and such.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement