Sign in to follow this  
matrix2681

texture mapping question

I've got a frustrating problem. The end result of an operation is supposed to map a texture onto a square to show what the texture looks like. It maps it fine, but the colors have all been converted to grayscale. Does anybody know what might cause this? Thanks, Michael

Hey bud,

I dunno what API you are using, but the only thing i can think of that might cause it would be the back buffer format. Not sure how that applies to OpenGL if that is what you are using.

Dave

Whoops, forgot to say: yeah I'm using OpenGL for this.

Whatever the problem is it looks like maybe a line or two got left out somewhere, but in all the texmapping tutorials I've looked at everything seems sound. I'll have to take a closer look.

Ok problem solved I think:

The lines where the texture is loaded into memory that look like:

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture[0]);
glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, TextureImage[0]->sizeX, TextureImage[0]->sizeY, 0, GL_RGB, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, TextureImage[0]->data);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D,GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_LINEAR);

have to be in that order. I had a couple switched around and now it shows up properly.

A niggle for this is that you're using a literal 3 for the internal format parameter (arg #3) which is kind of a deprecated way of doing things. You should use the symbolic constants for formatting (GL_RGBA, GL_RGB (which should be ==3), GL_RED, etc.) throughout.

I'm not sure how rearranging those lines of code would cause you to get a monochromatic image unless you uploaded the texture data before binding. Or, if that 3 had been a 1 previously.

Originally I got the code from one of the NeHe tutorials, so that's why the 3 shows up in there. Also I think I had the lines for filtering before the lines where the data was loaded in. I got rid of the faulty code as quickly as possible ;)