[MDX] Creating textures from raw data [solved]

Started by
3 comments, last by u235 18 years ago
Hello all. What I'm trying to do is create an 8-bit paletted texture from raw byte data from a file. However since the bytes in the file have to be "transformed" the real data will come from memory. The documentation didn't provide much info and Google just gave me how to load image files. So I whipped up this as a test:

public class Texture
    {

protected Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Texture Direct3D_Texture = null;

public int Height
        {
        	get
        	{
        		return Information.Height;
        	}
        }

private ImageInformation Information = new ImageInformation();

public int Width
        {
        	get
        	{
        		return Information.Width;
        	}
        }

public Texture()
        {
            Direct3D_Texture = null;
        }

~Texture()
        {
        	if( Direct3D_Texture != null )
        	{
        		if( Direct3D_Texture.Disposed == false )
        		{
            		    Direct3D_Texture.Dispose();
        		}
        	}
            return;
        }

public void Create( BinaryReader Reader, Device Direct3D_Device )
        { 
        	MemoryStream Stream = new MemoryStream();	
        	for( int i = 0; i < 64 * 64; i++ )
        	{
        		Stream.WriteByte( 0 );
        	}
        	PaletteEntry[] Palette = new PaletteEntry[256];
        	for( int i = 0; i < Palette.Length; i++ )
        	{
        		Palette = new PaletteEntry( 255, 255, 255, 255 );
        	}
        	Direct3D_Texture = TextureLoader.FromStream( Direct3D_Device, Stream, (int)Stream.Length, 64, 64, 1, Usage.SoftwareProcessing, Format.P8, Pool.Managed, Filter.None, Filter.None, 0, ref Information, out Palette );
        	Stream.Close();
        	Stream.Dispose();
        	return;
        }

}

I'm not actually using the file data yet, I'm just trying to get this to work( by creating a blank 64x64 texture). I'm getting Exception Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.InvalidDataException from FromStream, not sure what that's all about. I know I could probably just use dynamic textures for this, but they only need to be written to at start up. Does anyone know the solution or (likely) a better one? [Edited by - Scet on April 1, 2006 10:18:25 PM]
Advertisement
I'm no expert, and I've never done anything along these lines, so take this for what it's worth. I don't see any need for the ImageInformation part. I mean you don't really do anything with it except instantiate it and then pass it to FromStream. Maybe you could try using the overload that has everything from the overload you used, except the ImageInformation parameter. Worth a shot and I hope it helps.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Edit: Nevermind. I've figured it out. I forgot about the different texture constructors and LockRectangle, [rolleyes].

public void Create( BinaryReader Reader, Device Direct3D_Device )        {         	Direct3D_Texture = new Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.Texture( Direct3D_Device, 64, 64, 1, Usage.SoftwareProcessing, Format.A8R8G8B8, Pool.Managed );        	GraphicsStream Stream = Direct3D_Texture.LockRectangle( 0, LockFlags.None );        	for( int i = 0; i < 64 * 64; i++ )        	{        		Stream.WriteByte( 255 );        		Stream.WriteByte( 255 );        		Stream.WriteByte( 255 );        		Stream.WriteByte( 255 );        	}        	Direct3D_Texture.UnlockRectangle( 0 );        	        	Information.Width = 64;        	Information.Height = 64;        	return;        }

I still don't have it paletted but I don't think I can(not supported). I'll have to figure out a way around that.

Edit: u235 thanks for trying to help, but my card doesn't support P8 in HAL mode. The palette only changes during loading screens so it's not that important.

[Edited by - Scet on April 1, 2006 10:47:03 PM]
If I was at my computer I could try the code out myself and I could probably be of much more help. As it is, though, the only other thing I can think of might be that maybe you're not supposed to initialize the PaletteEntry array since it's an out parameter. Maybe DirectX fills the array based on the pixel format. Stabbin' in the dark here, sorry. I hope that helps, and if not, I hope someone comes along who has the answer.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Glad you figured out.

-AJ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement