Sign in to follow this  
nomichi

can someone test my pong clone?

I made a pong clone using Allegro. I'm calling it nong for now. I need someone to load it up so I can make sure it works for others. Source is included for anyone that cares to look. Some info about the game: Use the left and right arrow keys to move your paddle. Press escape at any time to quit. Just try to score on the computer as much as you want. I tried not to make him impossible. He is prone to error in guessing where the ball will go. The faster the ball is going the higher this error can be. The ball starts slow and speeds up a little each time it hits a paddle. If you press right just before/as the ball hits your paddle you will deflect the ball to the left a bit. Pressing left will deflect to the right. The computer will do this also to try to get the ball around you. [EDIT] new link below. [Edited by - nomichi on April 1, 2006 9:39:11 PM]

i don't mean to bump my own thread but I didn't think I should make a new thread to ask this. Should I use something other than rapidshare to host my files I want people to look at? I've posted a few things and while they get a lot of views they rarely get any feedback. I was just thinking that it could be because people might not like rapidshare because of the extra few clicks to get to the file. I guess I need a real host that direct links in one click. On that note, can anyone direct me to a better service if rapidshare is my problem? Either that or it could be that pong is just boring stuff :P

rapidshare sucks, simply because you have to wait an hour after downloading a certain amount of files, use something like filefront where you just need to wait in line, and with a file like yours im sure the wait would be very small to none considering its just a few people trying to get the file

to be honest i was going to dl before i saw it was rapidshare

Quote:
Original post by dmreichard
Very well done, and very challenging, at least for me. [smile]

glad to know it works! :) thanks for testing it out. hope challenging is good hehe :)

wow, maybe you should make the ai a little more stupid lol. and i couldnt compile the source code because my computer doesnt have allegro.h and winalleg.h

Quote:
Original post by knightmare99
wow, maybe you should make the ai a little more stupid lol. and i couldnt compile the source code because my computer doesnt have allegro.h and winalleg.h

Well I tried to make it sorta human. He is pretty good though. I didn't want it to be a joke so I tried to make it challenging but not impossible. Right now he estimates where the ball will go with a margin of error based on the speed of the ball. so if you can max out the ball speed he will start messing up more. Also, with a well placed shot he wont be able to get to it in time with the speed maxed.

He may be a bit too good though and I can tweak that error margin a little higher I suppose. Thanks for the feedback.

Somebody turned the speed waaaaaaaaay down. It's seriously slow on my machine, it takes 15 seconds for the ball to reach the paddle from the start of the game. Perhaps something is wrong with your high resolution timer?

Quote:
Original post by jonahrowley
Somebody turned the speed waaaaaaaaay down. It's seriously slow on my machine, it takes 15 seconds for the ball to reach the paddle from the start of the game. Perhaps something is wrong with your high resolution timer?

hmm, yea it shouldn't be that slow :( any info you can give me about your system might help? Afaik the timer is right. Could be a compatibility issue or a sound problem. do you have the background music or the ping sounds?

edit: i've gotta get going, ill take a look at it tomorrow if you can provide any info. if anyone else finds a problem please give me details. Thanks all.

everything runs fine on my computer. I like the background music did you create it yourself?

Two comments:

1. Very challenginge
2. If the ball hits the last pixel on the paddle it won't collide. ie if the ball hits the very left it goes right through.

Good work!

Quote:
Original post by ChurchSkiz
everything runs fine on my computer. I like the background music did you create it yourself?

no i downloaded it from http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/. They have some free sound effects and music.

I'm gonna take a look at the collision code and see if I can get that right. I noticed that recently also, how it went through the end pixels. I'm also tweaking the AI margin of error to make it a bit more likely that he can screw up. I'm still not sure why the game was running slow for jonahrowley though.

I guess it's just me, but it starts up fine but when I press space to start the game, as soon as the ball hits either paddle, the game crashes. Anyone else experience this?

-AJ

Very Nice!

I like the AI. It's kinda fun to see the computer going somewhere without the ball going there, unlike most ping pong clones that just make the AI mostly go with the ball.

Nice!

Very very difficult. Is the game frame-rate independent? Its running incrediblt fast for me. Its was nice and simply, though. Ran perfectly with no troubles.

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
Geforce 6200 256mb
1gb ram

I'm not %100 positive, but arn't you supposed to be able to reach the ball everytime no matter where the ball is vs where your "pad" is? The computer scored on me at least 4 times because I was at the other side and my "pad" couldn't reach the other side while the ball was going 50mp/h(not literally...). A mouse sensitive pad would probably be a lot more precise, also gives you another small challenge/task.

Quote:
Original post by u235
I guess it's just me, but it starts up fine but when I press space to start the game, as soon as the ball hits either paddle, the game crashes. Anyone else experience this?

-AJ

hmm, maybe something with the "ping" sound effect. That fires off on a hit of the paddles. Do you get the music? could be a sound issue that i need to work out.

Quote:
Original post by Ezbez
Very very difficult. Is the game frame-rate independent? Its running incrediblt fast for me. Its was nice and simply, though. Ran perfectly with no troubles.

Pentium 4 3.0ghz
Geforce 6200 256mb
1gb ram

It is set to run at 60fps. Is it fast from the start or does it get fast? I ask because the ball speeds up a bit after each paddle hit, eventually maxing out but it can get a bit fast.

Quote:
Original post by cherryhouse
I'm not %100 positive, but arn't you supposed to be able to reach the ball everytime no matter where the ball is vs where your "pad" is? The computer scored on me at least 4 times because I was at the other side and my "pad" couldn't reach the other side while the ball was going 50mp/h(not literally...). A mouse sensitive pad would probably be a lot more precise, also gives you another small challenge/task.

I'm not sure, I always hang out around the middle if im not sure where the ball might go( you can see the computer does this after it hits and waits for you to hit the ball ). I think if you are all the way to the left and a hit goes all the way to the right then that would be a little too easy if you can get to it. Unless the ball is still going slow. I haven't played the original pong in many years so you could be right. I imagine with a mouse you could get anywhere if you let the paddle move as fast as the cursor can. But if you limit it then it won't matter.

Sorry about all the serperate replies, it was easier to answer everyone with the quotes. Hope that is ok. Now for an update.

-Added menu with difficulty selection.

-Tweaked AI to hopefully be more human, prone to mistake.
Easy has a slow reaction time and bad ball judgement. Normal has average reaction and judgement. Hard has fast reaction and good judgement. All difficulties share the same paddle speed as the player, no cheesy faster paddle to make it harder.

-Fixed collision on paddle edges ( i think ). Was going thru the very edge pixels instead of colliding.

Next I'm gonna see if I can test the sound for problems. That's all I can figure would be causing the problems for some people. If anyone has any ideas about let me know.

Hope you guys will check out the new version and let me know how the different difficulties are.

Download nong