can someone test my pong clone?

Started by
21 comments, last by nomichi 18 years ago
I made a pong clone using Allegro. I'm calling it nong for now. I need someone to load it up so I can make sure it works for others. Source is included for anyone that cares to look. Some info about the game: Use the left and right arrow keys to move your paddle. Press escape at any time to quit. Just try to score on the computer as much as you want. I tried not to make him impossible. He is prone to error in guessing where the ball will go. The faster the ball is going the higher this error can be. The ball starts slow and speeds up a little each time it hits a paddle. If you press right just before/as the ball hits your paddle you will deflect the ball to the left a bit. Pressing left will deflect to the right. The computer will do this also to try to get the ball around you. [EDIT] new link below. [Edited by - nomichi on April 1, 2006 9:39:11 PM]
Regards,nomichi
Advertisement
i don't mean to bump my own thread but I didn't think I should make a new thread to ask this. Should I use something other than rapidshare to host my files I want people to look at? I've posted a few things and while they get a lot of views they rarely get any feedback. I was just thinking that it could be because people might not like rapidshare because of the extra few clicks to get to the file. I guess I need a real host that direct links in one click. On that note, can anyone direct me to a better service if rapidshare is my problem? Either that or it could be that pong is just boring stuff :P
Regards,nomichi
rapidshare sucks, simply because you have to wait an hour after downloading a certain amount of files, use something like filefront where you just need to wait in line, and with a file like yours im sure the wait would be very small to none considering its just a few people trying to get the file

to be honest i was going to dl before i saw it was rapidshare
Thanks, I figured that might be why I wasn't ever getting feedback. I uploaded it to my ISP. Forgot I had some free space there. Hope someone will check it out now. :)

nong (not rapidshare!)
Regards,nomichi
Very well done, and very challenging, at least for me. [smile]
Quote:Original post by dmreichard
Very well done, and very challenging, at least for me. [smile]

glad to know it works! :) thanks for testing it out. hope challenging is good hehe :)
Regards,nomichi
wow, maybe you should make the ai a little more stupid lol. and i couldnt compile the source code because my computer doesnt have allegro.h and winalleg.h
Quote:Original post by knightmare99
wow, maybe you should make the ai a little more stupid lol. and i couldnt compile the source code because my computer doesnt have allegro.h and winalleg.h

Well I tried to make it sorta human. He is pretty good though. I didn't want it to be a joke so I tried to make it challenging but not impossible. Right now he estimates where the ball will go with a margin of error based on the speed of the ball. so if you can max out the ball speed he will start messing up more. Also, with a well placed shot he wont be able to get to it in time with the speed maxed.

He may be a bit too good though and I can tweak that error margin a little higher I suppose. Thanks for the feedback.
Regards,nomichi
Somebody turned the speed waaaaaaaaay down. It's seriously slow on my machine, it takes 15 seconds for the ball to reach the paddle from the start of the game. Perhaps something is wrong with your high resolution timer?
Quote:Original post by jonahrowley
Somebody turned the speed waaaaaaaaay down. It's seriously slow on my machine, it takes 15 seconds for the ball to reach the paddle from the start of the game. Perhaps something is wrong with your high resolution timer?

hmm, yea it shouldn't be that slow :( any info you can give me about your system might help? Afaik the timer is right. Could be a compatibility issue or a sound problem. do you have the background music or the ping sounds?

edit: i've gotta get going, ill take a look at it tomorrow if you can provide any info. if anyone else finds a problem please give me details. Thanks all.
Regards,nomichi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement