Lisp

Started by
13 comments, last by Flatlander 18 years ago
Python or LUA would be a much better choice because it follows the same syntax as C++.

This was also my impression
Advertisement
All of Naughty Dog's games use a dialect of LISP. Not only do they use it for there gameplay logic they use it for rendering, physics simulations, and sound propagation.

They had the enginuity to write their own compiler for PS2 which gave them the ability to integrate assembly and LISP together as if they were the same language. This not only gave them a productivity boost because they ran the game once and never recompiled again for the entire day, but also gave them the same cutting edge speed that C++ could have offered.

All in all - C++ is just a standard for games because the tools for games make you program in C/C++, if a company has the resources then they can make whatever compiler/debugger they wish for any type of language.

Quote:Original post by AlbertoT
"I'll assume you are referring to Common Lisp "

I was referring to the Lisp script language used by the authoring system
"Deep Creator"
This 3d engine use a combination of Lisp and C\C++
It seems that they made this choice because their customers are already familiar with Lisp being used in AutoCad

Ah. Well, I have not used that dialect so I cannot help you there. It's worth noting that dialects of Lisp can be completely different, so next time you might want to mention the dialect.

Quote:
I wonder howewer wether you can expect significant advantages, using Lisp ,for example ,for the game play or AI logic and c\c++ for othet tasks

As I said, the advantages of Common Lisp are not really specific to what you are trying to do with it. And, the advantages of Common Lisp may not be the same as that dialect.

Quote:Original post by Nitrogen
OK, my bad, got my definitions a bit screwed! :)

What I'm trying to get across, is that in my opinion, Python or LUA would be a much better choice because it follows the same syntax as C++.

Quote:Original post by AlbertoT
Python or LUA would be a much better choice because it follows the same syntax as C++.

This was also my impression

This does not have to do with how well they work with C++. Also, Python and Lua certainly do not have the same syntax has C++. The only (syntactic) similarities, pretty much, are that they are both keyword-based and both use infix math notation. That's it. You would still have to learn about as much to learn Python or Lua (assuming that the dialect that he is talking about is somewhere between Scheme and Common Lisp in the number of features it has. As I said, different dialects of Lisp can be completely different).
Speaking of Lisp, I have, for a long time, been semi-interested in integrating Common Lisp as the scripting language for a game. The problem is, I haven't been able to find an implementation of Common Lisp that's easy to integrate with C++ code, and has no special licensing restrictions. Is there such a beast anywhere? Of all the examples given in this thread, it seems they had to write their own Lisp environment to include in their game. I'd rather avoid that.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Speaking of Lisp, I have, for a long time, been semi-interested in integrating Common Lisp as the scripting language for a game. The problem is, I haven't been able to find an implementation of Common Lisp that's easy to integrate with C++ code, and has no special licensing restrictions. Is there such a beast anywhere? Of all the examples given in this thread, it seems they had to write their own Lisp environment to include in their game. I'd rather avoid that.

ECL?
---from www.yellow-hut.com/blog

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement