*UPDATED* Shards v0.99!

Started by
18 comments, last by tok_junior 18 years ago
SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW POST!!! SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW POST!!! SCROLL DOWN FOR NEW POST!!! Hello again! Long time since I've posted here however I haven't fogotten you all ... i mearly developed a WoW addiction thats taken me a year to break haha :D Still better late than never 'eh. Anyway, I just uploaded v0.5 of Shards, a scrolling shooter like so many other raiden clones out there. But I know you like seeing what AS gets used in so I thought I'd share even if its not the most original project ever. So be warned its simple, and not actually complete but its still fully playable despite that :P Shards_0.5.0.zip Just incase your a tinkering kinda guy you can go have a play with all the scripts in /shards/core/scripts/ and the entitiy definitions in /shards/core/entities/. Any file with .def is just an xml file and its pretty simple to figure out I think. Entities have a set of atributes (size, model, speed etc) as well as a scripts item: <scripts touchEnt="blasterOnTouchEnt"/> So when this entity touches another entity it'll run "blasterOnTouchEnt()" function out of the script file linked at the top. The script file itself is pretty self explanitory with all the events. I've run out of time this weekend to make the levels so the engine is hardcoded to just spawn lots of the "basicBot" entity type. But once I get the level definition up and running you'll be able to spawn whatever entity types you like. For the moment though if youw ant to create different entity types you'll just have to mod the "basicBot" type because thats the only one spawned (except the player of course). I'm going to write a little mod guide when its done explaining all that about 300 times better, but I'll need to finish it befor I get around to that :D So yeah - my current AS project as it stands! [Edited by - kaysik on April 15, 2006 12:12:59 PM]
Advertisement
Oh and I'd love to know what machines it runs on. I have no idea how badly optimised it is currently seeing I'm developing it on a +3500ghz machine with a GeForce6800 so no matter what I do it never seems to lag. Hopefully it runs on lower specced machines without much trouble!
Well, I don't really have a lower spec computer, but it runs great [smile]
Amd 64 3700+2GB RamAti Radeon X800 128MB

As for the game demo itself, very great base working model you have there, good work! Very solid basic game play; shoot and dodge enemies. What I'd like to see you implement is the powerups for additional weapons, different enemies, and maybe formations for enemy clusters. After a while, it gets really hard to play, since the enemies increase but the rate of fire stays the same. I did mess around with the various scripts, and they did work, but I think the weapon system would need a little more fleshing out before users can adequately work with it. Other than that, great work and keep us updated on this! I'm looking forward to a more advanced demo, scripting is always fun [wink]
Intel P4 2GHz
1024MB RAM
GeForce Ti4600 pro

No problems running it here.
Intel P3 Celeron 800MHz
256MB memory
GeForce Fx5700 LE 256MB

The game works great. :)

I like the start of this. It has the potential to become a really cool game.

I agree with Drew on his suggestions. Also, I think your next step needs to be to add the sound effects. ;)

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

w00t - happy it worked on all your comps! Thanks for the feedback!

Drew_Benton: Agree with basically everything you said! I'm thinking of this as a "first playable" release rather than feature complete. Quite a few of the things you mentioned are half implimented already as well. For instance you can define however many entity types you want but its just hard coded to only ever spawn the basicBot type. Stuff like that means in theory it shouldn't be too hard to expand to a more fleshed out complete game.

Also all scrolling shooters need a megabomb weapon ... so if nothing else I think its gamer law that I must impliment that [wink]

WitchLord: Sound is planned! Infact the engine sound code is already written I just don't have any sounds to load and play. I need to go on a hunt through some free sound websites to find nice explosions and music loops. I'll definatly try to add some soon now you mention it though because it would add alot!
P2 400
GeForce 2 GTS

It runs fine.
I've tried to run the program, but it loads the window, and then closes.
No error messages shown.
Simple Specs:
1.4GHz
256MB RAM
64MB GeForce 4 MX 420
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire
Quote:Original post by deadimp
I've tried to run the program, but it loads the window, and then closes.
No error messages shown.

Hmm, weird. Seems to be working for everyone else I've given it too. If your willing I'll give you a debug build which prints out a heap of info if anything fails ... hopefully that'll give some hints as to whats wrong. I'll upload a build of that tonight when I get home and if you have the time you can check it out!

abrken: Nice! I was hoping it'd run fine on that kind of machine but its good to have confirmation.
Where could I get the debug version? (Sorry for not replying earlier)
Projects:> Thacmus - CMS (PHP 5, MySQL)Paused:> dgi> MegaMan X Crossfire

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement