help!! complete beginner in directx!!

Started by
9 comments, last by KittyRa 17 years, 11 months ago
im a complete newb in directx i need help. i basicly want to work with directdraw and do some 2d graphics stuff but im a complete newb so im not so sure how to do it. if anybody can send me a tutorial or just teach me how to initialize it and work with it i would be really happy. if you would ill be happy if you can put a example sourcecode with a lot(i mean a lot) of comments so i know what im doing. thank you.
Advertisement
What language?
1.) Please do not double post, especially at the same time in the same forum.

2.) DirectDraw is depreciated. 2D graphics can be still be drawn using D3DX. Check out MSDN for a good starting point.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
c++
First, do you NEED directX? A very useful library for making 2d applications is SDL. I haven't gotten into it much myself, but a lot of people rave about how simple it is to get started right away without having to spend a week just learning how to initialize it.

http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

Okay, so lets say you have a reason to learn directdraw(hopefully a good one). Realize that directdraw is no longer really supported by microsoft. You can still use it, but they haven't updated in quite a long time. An old book that covered directdraw extensively was Andre LaMoth's Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It's a huge book that goes quite indepth and since it's older I bet you can pick it up pretty cheap. Possible drawbacks: old, written in C style, and for the MSVC++6 compiler vs. a more modern compiler.

There's also of course the Microsoft given tutorials:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/ddraw7/directdraw7/ddtut_4vjr.asp

I strongly recommend you consider Something besides directdraw though. Even if you want to use directX for 2d, you should still use the direct graphics 3d libraries to do 2d with only a little work, also allowing you to use 3d technology to help with your 2d graphics.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

ok thanks ill check out SDL
i think im all right now i got a hang on opengl which seems pretty cool and i can understand it so, yeah.. thanks for the support though
That's a Good Thing because many people like to use OpenGL for 3D, and pair it up with SDL when they need 2D.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
thanks for all the support!!
Quote:Original post by kennypu
im a complete newb in directx i need help. i basicly want to work with directdraw and do some 2d graphics stuff but im a complete newb so im not so sure how to do it. if anybody can send me a tutorial or just teach me how to initialize it and work with it i would be really happy. if you would ill be happy if you can put a example sourcecode with a lot(i mean a lot) of comments so i know what im doing. thank you.

Get the DirectX SDK (software development kit) from Microsoft (free).

It has many samples that can gove you an idea how things work (many are 2D).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement