Sign in to follow this  
RanmaruX

Exact same "=" operation giving 2 different values?

What I've got: In C++ I have a Line2D class which consists of 2 points ( ev2P0 and ev2P1 )... What I'm trying to do: At one point in my code, I need make a line from the position of my enemy to a point 100 pixels above my enemy... Line2D lEnemy; lEnemy.ev2P0 = pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position; lEnemy.ev2P1 = pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position + EasyVector2D( 0.0f, 100.0f ); For some reason when I watch these values in the Visual Studio 2005 debugger, they always end up as... ev2P0 {x=300.00000 y=600.00000 } ev2P1 {x=1.0000000 y=0.00000000 } ( I expected x=300 y=700 ) I thought maybe there was something wrong with the EasyVector2D "+" operator so just as an experiment I changed the code to... Line2D lEnemy; lEnemy.ev2P0 = pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position; lEnemy.ev2P1 = pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position; and this happened... ev2P0 {x=300.00000 y=600.00000 } ev2P1 {x=1.#QNAN00 y=-1.#IND000 } ( I expected x=300 y=600 ) I am at a loss. How on earth can the same code give 2 different values? pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position is definitely not being changed. If anyone can shed any light on this, it would be greatly appreciated! PS: I tried putting my code in source tags but it made the "+" sign not show up?

Assuming you're using the debugger correctly, it sounds like something is happening in the member access of ev2Position -- specifically, that it's getting reset. Did you try looking there?

I just have it as a public member so I'm fairly sure there isn't anything changing that value. I just looked again though and realised it's because the debugger is foobar.

lEnemy.ev2P0 = pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position;

According to the debugger, this line is actually changing lEnemy.pNext and...

lEnemy.ev2P1 = pCurrentEnemy->ev2Position;

...is changing lEnemy.ev2P0! I get the feeling the debugger is looking at the wrong address for the members of lEnemy :(

Clean the project, and make sure you're project settings are set up for debugging (the Debug, not Release, configuration unless you've changed the configurations).