[java] Just started using Eclipse

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years ago
I used to use JCreator for speed, but on my new machine speed is not an issue, so I decided to check out Eclipse. Anyways, I have three questions: 1) How do you disable that annoying light blue marker that marks the line your text cursor is on? 2) When I click a variable decleration, a yellow marker marks the variable name. How do you disable it? 3) How do you disable the MS-Word like spelling error marking? Thanks in advance. Also, what plugins do you guys recommend?
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Advertisement
I don't use Eclipse, but have you tried the Netbeans IDE, it's free also.

Dave
You should be able to tinker with these from Window->Preferences.

For 1 you want Window-Preferences->General->Editors->TextEditor where you should be able to put the colour the same as the bg colour. For 3 Window->Preferences->Java->Editor and the 'report problems as you type' option. You may also want to uncheck Project->Build Automatically. For 2 I'm not sure.

I started with JCreator and the first time I used Eclipse I hated it. I really disliked the wavy underline error marking, and the lack of a 'compile' button, and a bunch of other things. I ended up going back to JCreator. About a year afterwards I switched over again, decided to force myself to give it a month's trial. Now all the things I used to hate about Eclipse are the things I really like. [grin]

The yellow variable highlighting is IMHO one of the best new features (again, annoying at first). Try leaving it on and you'll probably find it very helpful after a while.
If you have the money, I reommend IntelliJ. Best IDE I have ever worked in.

Lizard
Thanks OrangyTang. About the first one, there is an "Highlight current line" check box in Window-Preferences->General->Editors->TextEditor.

I will try the variable highlight. I can always change it to the bg color in Window-Preferences->General->Editors->TextEditor->Annotations.

Once again, thanks alot!
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
Quote:Original post by someboddy
I will try the variable highlight. I can always change it to the bg color in Window-Preferences->General->Editors->TextEditor->Annotations.

Ah, so thats where it is. I had a look but couldn't find it. Practically everything has some kind of options to control it, but actually finding them can be quite tricky.
Quote:Original post by LizardCPP

Lizard

I'm curious have you also tried Eclipse.

What I like about eclipse is it's extremely feature rich!

You can type in a function name that does not exist in a custom class and use the editor to create it.
Automatically surround things with try/catch blocks
auto comment creation.
automattically insert imports
refactoring renaming, moving of classes.
function browsing
class and package browsing

The basics syntax highlighting project creation
creating jar files and javadocs

Loads of good stuff.
Although there are some downsides to the gui layout and some features that you really don't use.
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming

Lizard

IntelliJ was probably the first IDE for java that actually had all those features you mentioned :-) A lot of core functionality in eclipse has been catch-up on IntelliJ, I know people who swear by it. That said, Eclipse's big selling point is the sheer amount of 3rd party plugins for practically every development associated task under the sun ie Web service integration with automatic WSDL generation for example. It can make your working day a lot easier sometimes.

D.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming

Lizard

IntelliJ was probably the first IDE for java that actually had all those features you mentioned :-) A lot of core functionality in eclipse has been catch-up on IntelliJ, I know people who swear by it. That said, Eclipse's big selling point is the sheer amount of 3rd party plugins for practically every development associated task under the sun ie Web service integration with automatic WSDL generation for example. It can make your working day a lot easier sometimes.

D.

And not to mention that Eclipse is free! Though some of there more advanced plugins are not. Such as Clover which is an addition to JUnit for providing analysis of code coverage with your JUnits.

For a lot of companies FREE is a huge plus if the software has not already been established within the companies budget for a particular project. Meaning that the developers don't need express consent from the company to use the software since it's free. Or to get consent would be easier than to license IntelliJ. Though I will take a look at IntelliJ always a good idea to know whats out there. But $500 for a first time user thats kind of steep when I can just use Eclipse that has support for almost all the features I'll ever need to use in an editor.
For number 2 Window->Preferences->Java->Editor->Mark Occurences uncheck Mark occurences in file. You can also find this option in the tool bar. It is the icon that looks like a highlighter. Beside the find(looks like a flashlght).

For number 2, someone gave the answer, but I would reccomend against turning it off. Part of rapid developement is to know where your errors are right away, rather than waiting to compile it.
"None of us learn in a vacuum; we all stand on the shoulders of giants such as Wirth and Knuth and thousands of others. Lend your shoulders to building the future!" - Michael Abrash[JavaGaming.org][The Java Tutorial][Slick][LWJGL][LWJGL Tutorials for NeHe][LWJGL Wiki][jMonkey Engine]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement