Sign in to follow this  

Need help on DirectX Programming

This topic is 4270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well you said you need help, and your in the right place.

What I would do is start looking around the site, look at the forums, look at the articles section. There is definatly enough to get you started there.

Then come back when you don't understand something to get help with it. There are many useful and helpful people here, but they can't really help unless it is something specific.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Look out for "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c: A Shader Approach" by Frank Luna this is the 2nd edition of the book and is due out April - May this year. Um don't get the first edition one which is already out, this onw will be using shaders.

I'm having trouble with creating D3D devices. It usually throws an exception when I'm trying to create one. And what is D3DPresentParameter structure? How could I fill it?

Quote:
Original post by Noname266
I'm having trouble with creating D3D devices. It usually throws an exception when I'm trying to create one. And what is D3DPresentParameter structure? How could I fill it?

Check the tutorials included with the SDK. They show how to create the device.

Quote:
I'm using a dial-up connection and about 300MB of DXSDK is too big for me to download.

The tutorials are available on-line at MSDN. However, you aren't going to be doing much DirectX programming without the SDK. You can request a copy from Microsoft on CD for a nominal fee.

Well, there used to be a link on the download page, but it looks like Microsoft stopped offering the CD when they went to a bi-monthly release.

The next best thing would be to buy a book on DirectX programming. Most of them come with a CD that includes the SDK. Not quite "nominal" but you should be able to find one for under $50US and the book might help you to learn ;)

Quote:
Original post by Dave Hunt
The next best thing would be to buy a book on DirectX programming. Most of them come with a CD that includes the SDK. Not quite "nominal" but you should be able to find one for under $50US and the book might help you to learn ;)

I wouldn't recommened this. I've had two DX books where the SDK version doesn't compile with the code samples presented in the book. You're better off biting the bullet and just downloading with your connection, or take a few floppies up to the local library and download it there.

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
I wouldn't recommened this. I've had two DX books where the SDK version doesn't compile with the code samples presented in the book.

That is sometimes the case, but it's better than no SDK at all.

Quote:
...or take a few floppies up to the local library and download it there.

More like 240 floppies. It's a 337MB download. ;)

Quote:

... or take a few floppies up to the local library and download it there.

LOL. I liked the "few" part.

I'd go with the on-line documentation on DirectX. Everything you'll need is there.

Quote:
Original post by programwizard
You're better off biting the bullet and just downloading with your connection, or take a few floppies up to the local library and download it there.

Assuming its the April SDK (which I have handily on my desktop waiting to be installed) you're going to need approximately 126 floppy disks.

But yeah, you need the SDK to do anything well with DirectX. Especially if you're on dialup - looking stuff up on MSDN is going to be slow as crap. Once you do have it, its really handy. Back in the day I downloaded it at school and transported it home. Oh, and ditch the floppy disks. We've got USB flash drives now ;)

Quote:
Original post by Mushu
Oh, and ditch the floppy disks. We've got USB flash drives now ;)

Well, of course you could use a flash drive, but where's the fun in that? :)

I'm in Vietnam. Do you know where Vietnam is? Here I can't find either a book of DirectX programming or a library which has computers in connection with each other through internet regarding the purpose of downloading DirectX SDK.

Quote:
I'm in Vietnam. Do you know where Vietnam is? Here I can't find either a book of DirectX programming or a library which has computers in connection with each other through internet regarding the purpose of downloading DirectX SDK.

So, how exactly are we supposed to help you? We've told you what you need and offered suggestions on how to get it.

The one "specific" question you asked wasn't exactly very specific. However, basic answers can be found here and here.

Buklenios asked a question which you haven't answered. You say "I'm having trouble with creating D3D devices. It usually throws an exception when I'm trying to create one." So, obviously you have something. Perhaps, if you told us what you have available, we could provide more specific advice on how to solve your problems.

This topic is 4270 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.