Sign in to follow this  
Odiee

Engine Design: Level design

Hi I'm wondering with is the best way to load and render a level. (something like quake or some other FPS level) Should I use directX *.x file format to model the level in some other modeling software and that load it like x mesh in engine or this is done in some other way (maybe *.x format is to slow to represent something as complicated like level). I'm not sure in the way that this is done. Tnx.

I can't help you, but I suggest changin the title of your thread to something like "Loading levels with DirectX". The current one is misleading.

It's certainly perfectly possible to load level geometry as a .x file (or a number of .x files, listed in some separate "level layout" document). I've done it before, and it works fine. It all depends on what you're going to do with the level. For an example, see RayCar.

Btw: I'm moving this to Game Programming, because Game Design is about how to design and balance different game play mechanics for the user; not about how to implement the game as a programmer.