DirectSound on WinNT? Documentation?

Started by
3 comments, last by MrSandman666 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi guys! I''m developing an application that has to be able to run on WinNT and I''d like to have DirectSound in it. Now, I know I can''t install DirectX 8 on Windows NT but doesn''t NT have some old version of DX in it? Like version 3 or something like that? I suppose I could use the DirectX header files that come with MSVC++ but how ''bout documentation? I''m completely new to DirectSound and on the MSDN page they only have teh documentation for DX8 ($%^#&*@)! Any help would be greatly appreciated! "Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Advertisement

Well, Win NT officially supports DirectX 3.0 from SP4 up. You can use the DX7/8 SDK header files, but be sure to modify them, there is a define somewhere at the top, where you have to set the desired version. In your case that would be 0x0300.
For the docs, that difficult, since MS doesn''t support DX3 anymore. Neither WinNT, as far as the SDK goes. I found an old DirectSound for DX3 reference on my HDD, if you''re interested contact me on jonalomb@yahoo.com.

Hope it helps.

Yes NT with service pack 3 and up comes with DirectX3...

as for where to find documentation...I''d suggest:
(A) the library - their computer books date back to the AppleIIe (YAY!)
(B) a used book store
(C) maybe someone on the internet has the docs posted or someone can mail them to you...

perhaps there''s even a directx mirror site which has ALL sdk''s (including their docs)..

Wazoo
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Hmmm, couldn''t I use the standard headers that come with MSVC++??? They don''t have anything version specific in them, though. I guess they are 3.0
Well, I can try and if it doesn''t work I can still use the files from the SDK.

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"

I used the header files + libs that come with the DX7 SDK, modified the #define, and everything was working. But I''m using Watcom C++, so I don''t know the header files that come with MSVC++ though.

---
Jonathan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement