Sign in to follow this  
malyskolacek

shared DS surface in shadow mapping

In my recent work on shadow mapping I came across one issue. I render the shadow map to a D3DFMT_R32F color surface together with a depth/stencil surface for z-buffering. I don't really use the DS surface anywhere, it's only for z-buffering. Therefore I thought of having one large DS buffer (of the size of the largest shadow map) and reusing it for all shadow map renderings. It could save memory but I have no clue about how this would work performancewise. I remember reading somewhere that repeated Clear and rendering to the same surface during a frame is bad, but I'm not sure. Do you have any experience with this? Thanks for replies

Quote:
Original post by malyskolacek
I remember reading somewhere that repeated Clear and rendering to the same surface during a frame is bad, but I'm not sure. Do you have any experience with this?

I suppose it could be, but note the tradeoffs that you have made:

(a) Decreased video memory usage (varying levels of importance, depending on your target hardware)
(b) Reduced number of state changes, since you no longer have to change DS buffers.

I guess the easiest way to find out would be to just try it out. It should be very easy to switch between the two, anyhow.